UC Online Course Highlight: Popular Music in the United States

By Adriana Conte

There is no denying that music serves a very powerful purpose in our lives. As William Shakespeare once said, “music is a window to the soul.” It expresses our thoughts and emotions in a way that words alone cannot, and it provides a unique outlet to turn to in times of distress. UC Online recognizes that something with such power and global prevalence must be studied on a deeper level.

“Popular Music in the United States” is an online course available to all UC universities that provides an in-depth analysis of music in the United States, from 18th-century minstrelsy to 21st century social media “consumer producers.” It surveys musical culture in a way many have not thought about it before. This course inspires students to think critically about narratives of race that inform our ways of valuing racial categories as they intersect with gender, sexuality, class, and evolving notions of cultural pluralism. By understanding how concepts and social forces influence the production of popular music, students will gain a multi-faceted perspective of popular music culture.

This course is open to all UC students of any major; an interest in music is all that is required to enroll! The skills and knowledge attained in this class will allow students to develop heightened awareness of differences and commonalities among a variety of musical practices, appreciating each one for its history and cultural influence. The course is divided into five 2-week units, where each unit will be concentrated on a particular historical process and its influence on musical practices. From music of the diaspora, to rhythm and blues, to hip-hop, this class has it all.

Students who are interested in this course should check with their respective campus counselors to see what credits and degree requirements they are eligible to receive. All course materials–including required reading and listening tracks–will be provided for students through Canvas and the course website. Each of the five units will include a range of required listening and mandatory discussion participation. It is expected that students attend lectures and engage actively with the course material.

The coursework and grade breakdown consists of in-class participation, three short essay listening responses, a midterm exam, and a final exam. Attention during lectures is expected, as there will be at least one short quiz for every lecture video. This will allow students to assess their own comprehension of the material; it is graded on participation, not on accuracy. Listening responses are 300-500-word thoughtful responses that comment analytically on the listening tracks included in that particular unit. Students are also expected to promote deeper discussion by offering substantial thoughts and questions in response to their peers’ posts. The midterm and final exam will consist of information covered extensively in lectures and will consist of short-answer and listening questions. Please see the course syllabus for more details about coursework, grading, and learning expectations.

“Popular Music in the United States” is a fascinating course that offers an interdisciplinary approach to the study of music. By the end of this class, students will be able to learn to hear and interpret basic elements of musical expression and understand the relationships between musical communities, the music industry, and the media. This unique knowledge will make listening to music even more powerful than it already is.

Adriana Conte | Alumna
Conte joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2018 and contributed until 2019. She spent time on the women's basketball beat.