Sunday, July 5, 2020

Advertise

Tracking COVID-19 at UCLA2020 Racial Injustice Protests

UCLA Health awarded federal innovation grant to launch biodesign hub

The UCLA Biodesign Hub for Medical Technology and Digital Health Innovation received a $750,000 federal grant which was matched by UCLA Health and the David Geffen School of Medicine. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By Marilyn Chavez-Martinez

September 9, 2019 12:52 am

A UCLA hub for medical technology and digital health innovation received $1.5 million in funding, UCLA Health announced Wednesday.

The UCLA Biodesign Hub for Medical Technology and Digital Health Innovation received $750,000 from the U.S. Department of Commerce’s Economic Development Administration for its launch, which UCLA Health and the David Geffen School of Medicine matched.

The project hopes to create jobs and fuel entrepreneurship by collaborating with Silicon Beach industries starting Oct. 1. It will be co-led by Desert Horse-Grant, the senior director of Research and Innovation at UCLA Health, as well as Jennifer McCaney, the executive director of UCLA Biodesign.

The hub is part of the Innovation at UCLA Health initiative launched in 2019, which offers grants, prizes and support to projects in five areas including patient experience, performance improvement and medical technology and digital health.

As part of its mission to train future health care leaders, the UCLA Biodesign Hub is open to partnerships and seeks to help further connect health care and technology.

Marilyn Chavez-Martinez | Outreach director
Chavez-Martinez is the 2019-2020 Assistant News editor for the Campus Politics beat. She was previously a reporter for the beat. Chavez-Martinez is also a second-year English major.

ARIEL COURT APARTMENTS 535 Gayley Ave. PRIVATE STUDIO & ONE BEDROOM APARTMENTS available for Summer & Fall. Walk across the street to campus! Property features 24-hr package lockers, pool, spa, fitness ctr. & parking. Studio from $2,099, 1×1 from $2,400. Specials up to 2 MONTHS FREE! Mention this ad for $0 App. Fee. Call now (310) 208-3818 *** www.arielcourt.com ***