Throwback Thursday: Overcast on Inauguration Day, 1985 and now

(Daily Bruin archives)

By Keshav Tadimeti

If there’s such thing as a tripartite coincidence, it’s happening on Friday.

Storms are on the horizon on all fronts for students this week, be it the actual rain drops that will grace the drought-ridden California soil, the light precipitation in the east coast or the political storm that’s about to be sworn into Capitol Hill.

Yes, the time has finally come. Seventeen months of brutal campaigns and two months of the country’s hungover daymares will culminate in Donald Trump taking the oath of office on Friday. Trump will officially take charge of the ship of state, and either triumphantly navigate through the choppy waters ahead or run us head-first into an iceberg.

Ironically, while the next four years of Trump’s roller-coaster ride will be anything but uneventful, Friday’s inauguration looks to be significantly duller – and that’s not just because Trump’s hair might be water-tested by the Washington, D.C. drizzle.

If you haven’t heard, numerous celebrities and A-list performers have staunchly opposed participating in Friday’s political switcharoo. Luckily, Trump’s inauguration organizers have put together a line-up of “soft sensuality” so as to not detract from his highness’ dazzling act, featuring names such as the Radio City Rockettes, the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and the Talladega College marching band.

Actually, let me correct that: I’ve never heard of any of those names. And I’m guessing Trump hasn’t either.

Now, before we get ahead of ourselves and use Friday’s lack of luster to argue the end of our democracy is near, we should remember this isn’t the first time a presidential inauguration has suffered from blandness. In fact, the acclaimed President Ronald Reagan faced similar headwinds when he was sworn into office for his second term in January of 1985.

On January 22, 1985, the Daily Bruin published an Associated Press story detailing how near-freezing temperatures in Washington, D.C. forced Reagan and his inauguration crew to move indoors, inspiring the frustration of attendees. Harry F. Rosenthal, the story’s author, wrote how the temperature was a “dangerous cold that plunged the thermometer to seven degrees above zero and the wind chill to 11 degrees below.” For reference, Friday’s inauguration faces a measly 50 degrees above zero.

The article stated how as a result of the change in venues, the traditional Pennsylvania Avenue parade had to be cancelled, and Reagan attempted to quell marching band members by proclaiming, “You would have been the greatest show on Earth.”

Rosenthal also wrote how lawmakers complained of not being able to hear Reagan’s speech due to poor acoustics in the Capitol’s rotunda. In fact, one of the lawmakers said he had to read the president’s lips to understand what he was saying. Ironically, Americans would still be compelled to read lips three years later in 1988 thanks to President George Bush Senior and his “read my lips, no new taxes” campaign slogan.

Of course, despite the inauguration mishaps, Reagan proved to be one of America’s most charismatic leaders and orators. If we’ve learned anything, it’s that the setbacks Trump’s inauguration crew have faced are certainly not indicative of what the next four years will look like – Trump’s Twitter rants are a much better, albeit still inaccurate, predictor.

However, what’s worth noting is that this time around, Americans, not the weather, are giving the president-elect the cold shoulder. Take that whichever way you will.

Keshav Tadimeti | Alumnus
Tadimeti was the Daily Bruin's Opinion editor from 2017-2019 and an assistant Opinion editor in the 2016-2017 school year. He tends to write about issues pertaining to the higher education, state politics and the administration, and blogs occasionally about computer science. Tadimeti was also the executive producer of the "No Offense, But" and "In the Know" Daily Bruin Opinion podcasts.