Ara Shirinian: More restaurants should follow Chipotle’s responsible approach to food

By Ara Shirinian

The next time I bite into a double-wrapped burrito at Chipotle Mexican Grill, it will be with the peace of mind that the chicken inside didn’t once look like something from Futurama.

That’s because as of Monday, Chipotle is no longer using genetically modified organisms – any organism with an artificially altered genetic makeup – in its ingredients. This brings the fast-casual chain one step closer to its goal of creating “food with integrity,” which also includes using ethically raised meat, organic ingredients and locally sourced produce when possible.

More restaurants should follow Chipotle’s lead and make a commitment to serving responsibly made food without charging the premium normally associated with those changes.

According to the company’s website, the company made the change because the long-term effects of GMOs on human health are still unknown and they pose a risk to the environment by “(damaging) beneficial insect populations and (creating) herbicide-resistant super-weeds.”

The other reason, and perhaps the most important, is that its customers want access to non-GMO food.

Even while we wait for studies to bring conclusive information about whether or not GMOs are bad for our health, it’s important that we at least have the option to avoid them, and Chipotle is currently the only major restaurant in its price range giving us that choice.

Still, some people are not convinced by its message, and have criticized the company for speaking loudly about the way its food is made while falling short of its promises. One objection is that a portion of Chipotle’s beef supply is still not grass-fed and antibiotic-free, despite the company’s efforts to do just that.

It’s certainly true that Chipotle is not perfect, but it’s hard to find fault with it when it is considerably more socially conscious than any of its competitors.

Other fast-casual options in Westwood, such as Corner Bakery Cafe and Five Guys, lack almost any emphasis on ethical approaches to food creation.

Thankfully, some chains are not as far behind. Panera Bread, which will open soon in Westwood, has made some effort to address concerns over artificial preservatives and grass-fed, antibiotic-free meats. But even Panera Bread has not gone as far as eliminating all GMOs.

If restaurant chains in Westwood and the rest of the country want to avoid alienating a growing population of environmentally conscious individuals, they should follow Chipotle’s example and dedicate themselves to socially responsible practices. In a world where it’s become almost impossible to know what’s in your food, it’s important that we have access to restaurants that guarantee both quality and reasonable prices.

In fact, Chipotle has gone as far as to take items off the menu when it cannot be bought from sources that meet its standards. Recently, many branches, including the one in Westwood Village, have been unable to serve carnitas, because Chipotle has been having a hard time finding pork that’s responsibly raised.

The company is willing to take a hit in sales so it can stay true to its word. That level of responsibility to customers is extremely rare in a food industry mostly concerned with finding the cheapest ingredients and maximizing profits. The good news is that having principles doesn’t mean you can’t be successful.

So the next time you’re walking in Westwood looking for a place to eat, consider stopping by the build-your-own kingdom of Chipotle, where the only modification you have to worry about is whether guacamole is worth the extra $2.

Ara Shirinian | Alumnus
Ara Shirinian was an assistant opinion editor from 2015-16 and an opinion columnist from 2014-15. He writes about technology, transfer students and Westwood.