Fourth-year student Julian Le mixes jazz and hip-hop genres, tours the world

Julian Le started playing classical piano when he was 3 years old and was taught by his parents, both of whom are graduates from Indiana’s Music Program with performance degrees.

49844_screen_shot_20120612_at_9.56.35_pm

This article is part of the Daily Bruin's Graduation Issue 2012 coverage. To view more multimedia, galleries, and columns, visit http://dailybruin.com/gradissue2012

By marjorie yan

As a child, Julian Le wanted to do what every kid had on his mind ““ spend a few hours playing video games, run outside with friends and go swimming. Instead, at the age of 3, Le’s parents introduced him to the piano.

Between balancing swim practice, instructing piano lessons at his parent’s music teaching studio in Milpitas and studying his father’s Charlie Parker and Art Tatum transcription books, music became Le’s life.

During his years at UCLA on a full jazz studies scholarship, some of Le’s accomplishments include the creation of his EP “Lost and Found,” the formation of the Le J Trio ensemble, touring in Europe as part of UCLA’s Jazz Ambassadors and the opportunity to perform at last year’s JazzReggae Festival.

“Lost and Found” was the first album that Le recorded and put together on his own. While Le has the music already composed for his next CD, he said the release will be delayed so that he can focus on finishing school.

“(“˜Lost and Found’) was basically my first CD and a little project … (I used) to familiarize myself with the whole process of making (an) album so I learned a lot from it,” Le said.

Le credits the teachings of Kenny Burrell, ethnomusicology professor and director of jazz studies, and James Newton, professor of composition, for his growth as a musician.

“I remember his audition clearly,” Newton said. “What impressed me … was the repertoire that he chose for the audition. It was a beautiful piece by Sam Rivers called “˜Beatrice,’ and this is not common jazz repertoire. It showed me right away that this was a student that was really pointed towards … finding their own voice in music.”

Le described his music as a collaboration between the genres of jazz and hip-hop. A musician that Le looks up to is jazz pianist and record producer Robert Glasper.

“(Glasper) is a big influence for me in terms of people who are trying to bridge gaps between (music genres),” Le said.

Some hip-hop artists that Le has worked with include Jonathan Park (Dumbfoundead), Elzhi of Slum Village, Ahmad Jones from 4th Ave. Jones, Alecoy Pete (Mic Holden) and Brandon Anderson (Breezy Lovejoy), among others. This summer, Le will go on tour with Dumbfoundead and Breezy Lovejoy in support of rapper George Watsky.

UCLA alumnus Aditya Prakash, who has collaborated with Le over the past year and a half and performed with him at the JazzReggae Festival, said Le is the type of musician who is able to adapt to any type of musical style.

“I sing in other languages and even though he might not understand, he’s able to pick up on the feeling of the song through his intuition,” Prakash said.

When applying to UCLA, Le said he didn’t want to attend conservatory school, a learning institution that focuses only on music students.

“I love classical music, don’t get me wrong,” Le said. “Jazz is mostly improvisation and it’s all about interpretation … so … I thought … I could do this as a career.”

Aside from producing his new album and going on tour this summer, Le said he wants to travel the world and play music while trying as many exotic foods as possible. He also said he plans on creating a jazz branch at his parent’s teaching studio, as well as some day opening up his own music and food venue.

“It’s a dream of mine,” Le said. “I want to play music, but I’ve always been a big fan of food … I want to have a (place) with good food and music every night.”

marjorie yan