Speakers to share their experiences with time in The Moth’s 'Rush: Stories of Ticking Clocks'

By Gillian Hughes

While the art of storytelling may seem lost in the energy and pace of daily life, The Moth performances reinstate the importance of spoken word. The Moth, a distinguished nonprofit organization, allows individuals from all walks of life to tell their stories live. Today at 8 p.m. in Royce Hall, UCLA students will have the chance to do just that, as The Moth presents “Rush: Stories of Ticking Clocks.” Doors will open at 7 p.m.

Some stories are entertaining and lighthearted, while others are heavy and thought-provoking, but all share the speakers’ unique experiences, and most are deeply personal and genuine.

Catherine Burns, the artistic director for The Moth, said she believes that its popularity is rooted in its authentic nature.

“I started at The Moth as a fan,” Burns said. “It was just so nice to see people being themselves and being honest on stage. I think that’s what makes our audiences connect with it.”

To Burns, the timelessness of storytelling stands apart from the distractions of technology.

“I feel like we live in this world where people are so attached to their digital devices,” Burns said. “There’s something so beautiful about stopping for a moment to actually listen and connect deeply with another person.”

From a professional poker player’s decision of how she would play the biggest hand of her career to UCLA surgeon Dr. Kodi Azari’s experience of effortlessly moving through a 26-hour hand transplant surgery, all of the speakers will take the audience through their unique interactions with time.

While Azari will be telling his own story later today, he said that his favorite part of The Moth is listening to other speakers.

“People prepare some amazing stories out there,” Azari said. “It’s a pure form of communication because you’re standing there on a stage with a microphone and without any PowerPoint slides, any prompts, any notes, and you have to tell a story that’s true and captivating and interesting.”

Gillian Hughes