Sports Illustrated's expose of UCLA basketball confirmed rumors, brought tough issues to light

By Ryan Eshoff

We canceled practice that night, and instead spent two-plus hours in a circle of chairs at center court. Lots of confession, lots of emotion, lots of real talk.

It was junior year of high school, a week or so after a group of my teammates had purchased marijuana from a dude in a Calabasas Coldstone’s. (Bet you never knew about that mix-in.)

We promptly frittered away our Christmas tournament road trip with lazy and undisciplined play.

When the word violently got out later ““ there was no blowing smoke this time ““ the repercussions were hasty and harsh.

All of the guys who partook in the kush were suspended from the team for the rest of the season. Those that didn’t graduate were reinstated the next year.

I wasn’t one of the guys kicked off, and I don’t say that to sound holier-than-thou or self-righteous.

What stung those of us that were left on the team was that we hadn’t done more as teammates to hold each other accountable, to rid our group of the cannabis culture from within.

The story released by Sports Illustrated regarding the UCLA men’s basketball team is multifaceted; none of it is particularly shocking or horrifying to those familiar with the program, but at the least it provides a good impetus for talking about the program’s deep-seated issues.

I don’t mean to suggest that an experience in high school directly parallels the dynamics of one of college basketball’s most prestigious programs, but for me the comparison is valid in a lot of ways.

I agree with the way my high school coaching staff and administration handled the situation, even though it was tough to swallow for everyone ““ you should have seen the look on the unknowing fans’ faces when we came out of the locker room that first game after the fact, short four of our starters and a number of our key bench guys.

UCLA coach Ben Howland has made a name for himself as a gritty, tough-minded individual, not the kind of coach you’re going to invite over for brunch in the dining hall just because you’ve got swipes to burn.

The SI story confirmed the much-rumored irony that has plagued the Howland regime: While being altogether a strict and gruff leader, he has failed in many respects when it comes to properly disciplining players ““ usually the most talented guys ““ for valid reasons (usually of an extracurricular nature).

I’ve said all along that Howland deserves one more year after this one before the seat starts to simmer, and I don’t think this article changes that perspective too much.

Now that all of these issues are in the public eye, however, my hope is that Howland is more inclined to recognize that being a consistently successful college basketball coach is about much more than X’s and O’s, which he excels at.

Some of the more comforting elements of the article to me were the anecdotes about the guys ““ most of them upperclassmen at the time, now graduated ““ who tried their best to preserve team unity.

Part of being a teammate is accountability, possessing a willingness to call a guy out or tell him he’s being an idiot. I can be the first to admit that that’s easier said than done, but I would like to think that wearing the four blue letters on the front of your jersey instills in you enough pride to be willing to take that uncomfortable step.

We also have to address the problem players themselves, and this is the saddest part of the story, because the majority of UCLA students that I’ve spoken to aren’t surprised at all by the details revealed in the story about the actions of some of these players.

I’ve known Drew Gordon since junior high ““ we have many mutual friends ““ and I played against Reeves Nelson in high school.

It sucks to say, but their actions weren’t a surprise to me given my knowledge of their personalities. (I do admire Reeves for being willing to be quoted in the article.)

I’m sure many of us have been at the same parties as some of these players, and can give firsthand accounts of some of the transgressions. That’s sad, too.

The change, then, has to be systemic.

No one individual is solely responsible for the mess of the last few years ““ everyone is.

The good news is that just as quickly as things careened off course because of a few bad decisions, they can correct themselves.

Get high-character guys in the program. Re-evaluate the way you discipline players. Don’t be afraid to man up and tell your teammate he’s acting like a fool.

The spotlight’s shining more intensely now, and hopefully it’s bright enough to obliterate the darkness beyond. Email Eshoff at [email protected].

Ryan Eshoff