UCLA Live hosts a medley of performances in the coming months

UCLA LIVE

By marjorie yan and Lenika Cruz

UCLA LIVE

Courtesy of DENISE OFELIA MANGEN

UCLA’s Royce Hall hosts acts ranging from student organizations to world renowned artists. Royce Hall’s UCLA Live presents performers that travel from around the world. Here’s an overview of some of the performers visiting the campus this quarter.

Max Raabe & Palast Orchester
One Cannot Kiss Alone
Feb. 23, 8 p.m.
Royce Hall
Tickets from $25 ($15 UCLA Students)
One rarely sees a performer described as “uber-suave,” so it piques our interest when one is. Max Raabe will be accompanied by his Palast Orchester in this concert, playing the music from the ’20s and ’30s that the group is known for, as well as music from the group’s new album titled “One Cannot Kiss Alone,” which features love songs played in styles that range from modern pop to a more vintage musical flavor. A blend of music from the Roaring ’20s and more contemporary tunes? Sounds suave to us.
-Andrew Bain

Royce Hall Organ and Silent Film
featuring Steven Ball
“Tillie’s Punctured Romance”
Mar. 10, 8 p.m.
Royce Hall
Tickets from $15 ($15 UCLA Students)
The recent critical and commercial success of “The Artist” has shuttled the silent film genre to the forefront of popular culture, highlighting the inventive richness to be found in the form. Though lacking the crucial element of sound, such films are far from artistic amputees. This spring, renowned organist and Fulbright scholar Steven Ball will command the treasured Skinner Organ in Royce Hall to provide a live score for the 1914 Charlie Chaplin film “Tillie’s Punctured Romance.” Considered by film historians to be the first full-length comedy ever, it also stars Marie Dressler and was preserved in 2004 by the UCLA Film and Television Archive.
-Lenika Cruz

Hugh Masekela
Feb. 10, 8 p.m.
Royce Hall
Tickets from $20 ($15 UCLA Students)
Early next month, Hugh Masekala returns to Los Angeles with his band of South African musicians. The multi-talented composer, performer, producer and innovator will grace the stage of Royce Hall with music from his album “Phola” as well as new jazz works and ballads. Masekala is known for his musical tribute to Nelson Mandela as well as his integral role in Paul Simon’s tour behind the album “Graceland.” Masekala, also a human-rights activist and trumpeter, has been described as a defining force in world music and the struggle for human rights both in Africa and around the world.
-Marjorie Yan

Noa (Achinoam Nini)
The Israeli Songbook
Mar. 24, 8 p.m.
Royce Hall
Tickets from $20 ($15 UCLA Students)
Though best known in her home country of Israel, prolific musician Noa (or Achinoam Nini) has not limited herself to making music strictly in Hebrew. She has written and recorded music for 20 years in English, Yemenite, Italian, Neapolitan, French and Spanish. Late this quarter, she will perform pieces from her latest release, “The Israeli Songbook,” with material stemming from her cultural roots, including new takes on Israeli classics such as “Hayu Leilot,” “Mayim Rabim” and “Ruach Stav.” She will augment her set by playing a blend of Middle Eastern and Latin percussion.
-Lenika Cruz

The Moth
Rush: Stories of Ticking Clocks
Mar. 1, 8 p.m.
Royce Hall
Tickets from $20 ($15 UCLA Students)
The phenomenon of story-telling shows is sweeping the nation, and one of the organizations leading the charge is coming to UCLA. The Moth, which puts out a podcast in addition to putting on live shows and other programs, will present a story-telling show set to the theme of “Rush: Stories of Ticking Clocks.” For any students familiar with the feeling of racing against the clock, this show is not to be missed.
-Andrew Bain

marjorie yan