UCLA’s Counseling and Psychological Services puts a cap on students’ stress by providing workshops

CAPS center

Counseling and Psychological Services Workshops offered to all students: Wednesday Wellness Workshops

Week 3:

• Avoid the Transfer Stress (Campbell Hall Room 1224, 1-2 p.m.)
  • Sustainable Healthy Eating: Back to Basics (Arthur Ashe Center, 4th floor Conference Room, 3-4 p.m.)
  • Managing Relationships at Home (SAC Room 105D, 6-7 p.m.)
  • Essentials of Time Management (graduate students only) (SAC Conference Room 4, 5-6 p.m.)

Week 4:

• Art of Sleeping: ABC's of Zzzz's (Arthur Ashe Center, 4th floor Conference Room, 1-2 p.m.)
  • Art of Sleeping: ABC's of Zzzz's (graduate students only) (SAC Conference Room 4, 5-6 p.m.)

Week 5:

• Boosting Test Performance (Campbell Hall Room 1224, 2-3 p.m.)
  • Mood Matters (Arthur Ashe Center, 4th floor Conference Room, 1-2 p.m.)
  • Achieving School/Life Balance (SAC Room 105D, 6-7 p.m.)

Week 6:

• Stress Less (Arthur Ashe Center 4th floor Conference Room, 1-2 p.m.)
  • Public Speaking Confidence (graduate students only) (SAC Conference Room 4, 5-6 p.m.)

Week 7:

• Procrastination & Perfectionism (Campbell Hall Room 1224, 4-5 p.m.)
  • Stop Body Bashing (Arthur Ashe Center 4th floor Conference Room, 3-4 p.m.)
  • Achieving Academic Success (SAC Room 105D, 6-7 p.m.)

Week 8:

• Art of Sleeping: ABC's of Zzzz's (Arthur Ashe Center 4th floor Conference Room, 1-2 p.m.)
  • Stress Less (for graduate students only) (SAC Conference Room 4, 5-6 p.m.)

Week 9:

• Stress Less (Arthur Ashe 4th floor Conference Room, 1-2 p.m.)

Campus Assault Resources & Education Workshops

Wednesday, Week 3 and Thursday, Week 4:

• Blame it on the Alcohol: Sex and the Morning After (Wednesday CAPS LCR, 6 p.m.; Thursday CAPS LCR, 5:30 p.m.)

Thursday, Week 6:

• Bruins CARE Training Certification Program (CAPS LCR, 6-8 p.m.)

International Student Wellness Workshops

Thursday, Week 3

• Lost: Finding Your Way in the American Classroom (Dashew Center, Bradley Hall Room 106, 4-5 p.m.)

Monday, Week 8

• Friendship in the U.S. (Dashew Center, Bradley Hall Room 106, 12-1 p.m.)

SOURCE: UCLA Counseling and Psychological Services
Compiled by Alex Chen, Bruin contributor.

By Alex Chen

Last-minute papers, unwashed dishes, dirty underwear and late-night cramming are by-products of a college student lifestyle.

For those overwhelmed by the stress and anxiety of this routine, the Counseling Center of UCLA’s Counseling and Psychological Services offers services to help.

Beginning today, CAPS will be holding weekly workshops on Wednesdays to give students a taste of how the center’s services can help students address mental health issues.

The focus of Wednesday Wellness Workshops is not diagnosing mental health issues, but helping students achieve mental and physical well-being, said Dr. Ancy Cherian, acting clinical director for CAPS.

The seminars tackle a wide variety of subjects, such as procrastination, effective sleeping, confidence in public speaking, healthy eating, boosting body image and coping with relationship problems.

The Center also provides workshops concerning sexual assault prevention open to all students on various dates throughout the quarter.

For example, the procrastination workshop does not only focus on identifying skills for overcoming such behavior but also on identifying when, why and how students procrastinate ““ the root causes for the behavior.

With these root causes discovered, the hope is that students will be active in making changes to better their physical and mental health.

“This time in your life is a really important time to learn skills to help you not only in the work force but also skills to help you in your personal life, in your relationships and how you take care of your body and your mind,” said Dr. Tanya Brown, a staff psychologist who instructs in a variety of workshops from mind and body health to academic and motivational issues.

With workshops at Campbell Hall, the Student Activities Center and the Arthur Ashe Student Health and Wellness Center, the seminars are designed to be accessible for all students at UCLA, said Dr. Nicole Green, the prevention programs coordinator for CAPS who teaches in the workshops.

Seminars will also offered at night to accommodate graduate students.

For international students, specialized programs will be held at the Dashew Center in Bradley Hall, Cherian said.

Offered on Thursday and Nov. 14, these International Wellness Workshops will discuss American culture and how to adjust to general cultural and educational system differences.

“(These programs are) a way for students to get introduced to our services, learn a little bit about wellness or how to deal with stress or sleep problems without having to come to the center,” Cherian said.

A large cross-section of the Counseling Center’s staff help to run these workshops, Brown said.

By introducing students to their psychological services, the Counseling Center wishes to remove the barriers and stigmas associated with seeking counseling.

“This gives (students) a chance to see what one of our staff looks like, dispelling myths, concerns or fears of what it might be like to work with the CAPS staff,” Brown said.

The hour-long Wednesday Wellness Workshops serve as an introduction for students to CAPS more intensive Wellness Skills Groups and long-term therapy groups.

While the workshops are meant to give someone a sampling of the skills for mental and physical well-being, the Wellness Skills Groups, at three sessions each, are designed to help someone practice these skills, Brown said.

Alex Chen