Getting away: the essential summer road trip playlist

Leah Christianson

By Leah Christianson

Aug. 14, 2011 11:07 a.m.

There are three essentials for a successful summer road trip.

1. Tasty snacks (I prefer peanut butter filled pretzels and Red Vines).
2. Good company.
3. Great music.

The following playlist has the variety to keep most listeners happy, combining both old and new tunes that should be listened to at a few decibels above average. These songs pair feel-good beats with the reawakening energy needed if the trip takes longer than expected. Singing along is optional, but highly encouraged.

“Highway Star” by Deep Purple
The title may speak for itself, but this song from the British band best known for its hit “Smoke on the Water” provides the perfect anthem for anyone looking to head out on the road. Characterized by its epic guitar and organ solos, this song might actually make you believe that your car, too, can “break the speed of sound.”
Sounds like: Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath

“Infinity Guitars” by Sleigh Bells
X Games fans are probably familiar with Sleigh Bells’ song “Tell “˜Em,” which provided the soundtrack to X Games commercials this summer. “Infinity Guitars,” along with the rest of the band’s 2010 album, “Treats,” has that same amped-up sound and can make even the most relaxed of passengers want to stomp along. It might garner a few sidelong glances at a stoplight, but that’s probably one of the reasons you turned up the bass in the first place.
Sounds like: Yeah Yeah Yeahs, M.I.A., Santigold

“Run (I’m a Natural Disaster)” by Gnarls Barkley
Gnarls Barkley’s album “The Odd Couple” serves as fantastic driving music with its mix of dark, yet upbeat songs. “Run” is all about motion and escape ““ something that is sought after in an impromptu road trip. The track also references Creedence Clearwater Revival’s riff from “Fortunate Son” before singer Cee-Lo Green sings to his listeners that “You better move / I said move.”
Sounds like: Gorillaz, Wax Tailor

“Heaven” by O.A.R.
O.A.R.’s newly released album, “King,” took much longer to create than many people anticipated, with each member spending time in his hometown to find inspiration and lead singer Marc Roberge’s wife being diagnosed with cancer. However, the final product was worth the wait. Putting aside debate over the meaning behind its lyrics, “Heaven” is a feel-good anthem with a catchy chorus that makes it nearly impossible not to sing along.
Sounds like: Dave Matthews Band, Dispatch

“Magic Carpet Ride” by Steppenwolf
While some may say that “Born to be Wild” is the quintessential road trip song, I’ve always had a soft spot for “Magic Carpet Ride.” With an introduction that creeps up on you and a chorus that makes you want to dance, this Steppenwolf classic is key to any road trip. Just pretend that you’re Aladdin and your car is that awesome flying carpet. You can even bring a pet monkey if you want.
Sounds like: Blind Faith, Foghat, Alice Cooper

“Four Kicks” by Kings of Leon
“Four Kicks,” off the album “Aha Shake Heartbreak,” has the raw vocals and guitar that the band’s fans have admired since its first EP in 2003. The song’s southern-infused garage rock qualities make donning cutoff jeans and singing to the open road seem like the most logical thing to do. In my humble opinion, anything by Kings of Leon makes for fantastic driving music. Other great tracks include “Closer” and “Crawl” off the album “Only By The Night,” and “Pickup Truck” from their latest album, “Come Around Sundown.”
Sounds like: The Killers, Lynard Skynard, The Strokes

“Lynguistics” by Cunninlynguists
Violins, flutes, and hip-hop do not usually mix well, but this track is an exception. With this song off their first album, “Will Rap For Food,” Cunninlynguists provide proof that they are not just another rap duo. The lyrics are cunning, and the atypical instruments they are paired with make this song a delight to listen to both on and off the road.
Sounds like: Lost Boyz, Sweatshop Union

“Fly Away” by Lenny Kravitz
If “road trip” becomes synonymous with “escape from the daily grind,” this song offers a soundtrack to a well-deserved reprieve. Mr. Kravitz’s chorus of “I want to get away/ I want to fly away” may get repetitive, but the feeling it evokes is one that listeners wouldn’t mind having more than once.
Sounds like: Jimi Hendrix, Red Hot Chili Peppers

Leah Christianson