Designers, models come together for Fashion and Student Trends' 'Illumination' runway show

FAST model, third-year art student and former Daily Bruin photographer Taylor Martin wears a dress designed and made by Davis.

“Illumination” Fashion Show

Today, 7 p.m.
Ackerman Grand Ballroom, FREE

By Arit John

Evan Luxenberg

Fourth-year art student Jennifer Davis is one of the designers for this year’s Fashion and Student Trends fashion show, which will take place in Ackerman Grand Ballroom. This year’s theme, “Illumination,” was chosen partly to commemorate the show’s 10th year.

Two days before their runway show, student models strut down the balcony on the second level of Ackerman in high heels to Adele’s “Rolling in the Deep.” The models walk the way they have been taught, with hips swaying, legs crossing one in front of the other and intent expressions. The goal is to make it look easy.

These models are part of the Fashion and Student Trends organization, a student-run group best known for an annual fashion show. “Illumination,” FAST’s 10th annual fashion show, will take place tonight in Ackerman Grand Ballroom. Admission to the event is free with a donation of any article of clothing at the door to Food on Foot.

“We wanted (a theme) that was original, bright and kind of explosive and a celebration,” said Kate Krantz, a fourth-year English student and vice president of FAST. “We thought that “˜Illumination’ celebrated all of that and commemorated our 10th year without being obvious about it.”

Planning for the show began in the fall. After the board decided the year’s theme, they accepted design applicants and held casting calls for models.

Designers submitted sketches of their work as well as the goals of their creations. Krantz said that while screening the applications, the board looked for designers who demonstrated a clear artistic vision for their line.

“(The selected designers) all had a very clear vision about what they wanted to create,” said Elizabeth Fong, a fourth-year economics student and president of FAST. After being accepted, the designers have until the day of the show to construct their lines. The designers are not allowed to receive outside help at any point during the creation period.

Fourth-year art student Hoangthy Ngo said that her line mirrors the different levels of the ocean, from the dark bottom floor with its luminescent creatures to the bright and colorful coral reefs.

“It’s supposed to go from the edgy look to the more vibrant and more textural look,” Ngo said, referring to the increase in volume or body seen in each model’s subsequent outfit.

Ngo’s fashion experience began with costume designs she made for high school plays. She continued designing in college, entering Resident Runway, UCLA Office of Residential Life’s fashion competition in which she placed in the top five her first year and second the following year. Ngo said designing for the FAST show has required her to take a more structured approach to creating pattens.

“I’ve kind of been more organic in how I’ve made my stuff, using old clothes and making patterns from that,” Ngo said. “But at this point, actually making patterns from designs that you’ve created yourself, it’s … different.”

Jennifer Davis, a fourth-year art student, is also a veteran of Resident Runway and won the competition her second year. During her third year, she was accepted as a FAST designer and created a line that she described as ethereal, fantastical and flowy. This year, her clothes are more commercially appealing, as opposed to the more abstract pieces of her last line, Davis said.

“I definitely wanted to go for something very minimalist and effortless, and my inspiration behind it was kind of an “˜East meets West’ theme,” Davis said. “I wanted it to seamlessly encapsulate … feeling both sophisticated and sexy,” Davis said.

Designers chose the models who best represented the themes of their lines, said Jason Smith, a third-year world arts and cultures student and the FAST model director.

“Last year, I definitely went with one kind of girl ““ waify and thin ““ and I realized if I really want people to want to wear my clothes, then I have to go for a variety of body types and ethnicities,” Davis said.

Putting together the show is the biggest project undertaken by FAST, Fong said. For members of FAST who see the process through from start to finish, the night of the show can be dramatic.

“Everyone is so passionate about (the show) and so committed,” Krantz said. “To be able to be backstage, and your heart’s pounding and you’re watching each one of these pieces of art go out on the runway ““ it’s emotional and it’s exciting.”

Arit John