WATS-ON MY MIND: New head coach Cori Close is ready to live up to the legacy of UCLA women’s basketball

Former associate head coach for Florida State University Cori Close is replacing former coach Nikki Caldwell, who left UCLA last month for a coaching position at LSU. This is Close’s first stint as a head coach, and she hopes to carry on what Caldwell started.

By Brantley Watson

Evan Luxenberg
New women’s basketball coach returns to UCLA after serving on coach Kathy Olivier’s staff from 1993 -1995. Close brings an offensive mind-set from her former position at Florida State. 

So in Nikki Caldwell’s case, would it be big stilettos left to fill?

“She not only left big shoes, but she left cuter shoes than I have, too,” Cori Close said.

Close isn’t shy about acknowledging the pressure accompanied with her new gig.

Nikki Caldwell jetted UCLA this April and is now on her second leg of the “Wizard of Oz” trio, having coached the Bruin bears and now the Louisiana State Tigers.

Let’s see now, where can she become a lion? Loyola Marymount? Fairfax High School?
She’ll figure it out.

But aside from guessing where Caldwell will coach next, one thing is for sure, and that is that she has left high standards in her rearview mirror.

Stepping into the driver’s seat is Close.

And the first step Close has made in acclimating to her inaugural head coaching position is to realize that the immediate past will have an effect on the future.
Her job is to build upon that.

“There’s just no doubt about it, Nikki and her staff really changed the momentum and perception of UCLA women’s basketball in Southern California and nationally,” Close said. “It’s just one of the many challenges.”

The UCLA women finished this past season with a record of 28-5 and made their second straight NCAA tournament appearance. The Bruins also finished second in the Pac-10 for the second straight season behind women’s college basketball powerhouse, the Stanford Cardinal.

The Bruins also remained ranked in the top 25 for the duration of the season, and three of UCLA’s five losses came to Stanford. One came against LSU and the last was to Gonzaga in the second round of the NCAA Tournament, where the Bruins were forced to play at Gonzaga’s home arena even though the Bulldogs were the No. 11-seed.

Needless to say, the 2011-2012 season could prove tough for Close.
She’s ready.

“There’s no doubt about it, the first year is going to have the most pressure,” Close said. “They just had a lot of success, and they made some really good steps in the program. And they’re missing some major pieces.

“But this is not just for one year. I’m not going to live and die by the first year.”
Her plan?

Take what Caldwell put in place and sprint. Not run, but sprint.

“I think if you’re a secure coach, you want to honor what Nikki and her staff did,” Close said. “I really respect and appreciate the building blocks they put in place in terms of the next step of the program.

“It’s an adventure for sure. But it’s a dream come true. It’s a tremendous job and amazing opportunity, and I’m excited to walk through that window of opportunity. I love teaching college students. I am passionate about that. I feel privileged to be around these young women. That’s what I feel like I’m called to do.”

Although this may be Close’s first opportunity to anchor her own program, the UC Santa Barbara alum and former UCSB associate head coach brings a laundry list of credentials with her to the UCLA program.

Close served as associate head coach at Florida State for the past seven seasons, each of which saw the Seminoles advance to the NCAA Tournament. For the nine seasons prior to her tenure at FSU, Close served as an assistant and associate head coach at her alma mater.

In her coaching career, Close has been a part of 11 conference championships, 15 20-win seasons and 15 NCAA Tournament appearances.

That Close maintains that same experience, coupled with the coaching staffs she’s been a part of, is what has prepared her to keep the Bruins at the top of the women’s college basketball heap.

“It sounds sort of cliche, but the reality of it is nobody can put more pressure on me than I put on myself,” Close said. “I have been really uniquely prepared. I have worked for bosses that are secure, amazing leaders that have really let me run in ways that I would say 90 percent of associate coaches or assistants have not had the freedom to do. So there are a lot of things that I’ve had to not only encounter but failed and had to get myself back up.”

She’s not overly confident, however.

“Now, there are some things that you just can’t experience until you do them yourself,” Close added. “That’s the reality. Do I know there’s going to be a learning curve? Absolutely.”

Most outgoing about Close, aside from her ease in articulating her thoughts and strong presence, is her genuine demeanor and passion to relate to those around her.

When I sat down in her office, I felt as if I was getting interviewed.

And clearly, she’s going to need that demeanor coming into a situation in which trust and confidence could be at a premium.

“Probably relational. Passionate. Driven. I think those would be the main words people would use to describe me,” Close said.

“I really want to provide not just a great basketball experience, I want them to have a great college experience associated with women’s basketball. How we create fun memories together as a group of people and create a family atmosphere and chemistry and all those things, I have a heart for that.”

Two seasons ago, when Caldwell was in her second year, she revealed to me that then-freshman Markel Walker was having some anxiety about her decision to come to UCLA from Philadelphia.
Caldwell said Walker had considered going back home, but that she and her staff were able to convince Walker not to give up, that she should stick it out.

I asked coach Close, “How do you convince Walker and the others recruited by Caldwell that they should stick around now? How do you get them to trust that you have their best interests at hand?”

“I think it’s getting to know them,” Close said. “And I don’t think it happens overnight. The biggest sigh of relief I saw from them was in the first meeting when I said, “˜I don’t expect you to trust me right away’ and all of their shoulders dropped.

“I said, “˜The only thing I ask is that you give me a chance to walk it out in front of you. If I walk it out, not talk it out, in front of you, then I want you to give me the chance to earn your trust.’ And they’ve been really good about that.”

I’m telling you Bruin faithful, Close has a way with words.

As far as the Bruins’ incoming recruiting class, which features McDonald’s All-American Justine Hartman, Close couldn’t dish on exactly which recruits were sticking with their decision to come to Westwood.

But what she could dish on is why some of her colleagues are looking at her sideways.

“I have given them freedom,” Close said of the recruits. “Some of my colleagues think I’m crazy to not have made them at least give it a year, but I want them to choose UCLA. This is their choice. I want them to choose to be a Bruin.”

Regardless of the incoming class, what Close has inherited is a group of girls coming off of the best UCLA women’s season in recent memory, possibly ever.

The Bruins have lost their veteran backcourt in Doreena Campbell and Darxia Morris, but Close hopes that the sour taste left in the returners’ mouths will be enough to make the team step up as a whole.

“This particular group is so versatile,” Close said. “And they’ve gotten their first taste of what it can be like to have success. And at the same time, they were disappointed at the end. So my real hope is that they enjoyed the taste enough, and then they were disappointed enough at the end to where they are really hungry to take the next step.”

That same group of gals will also have a fond memory of last season that might linger in the back of their minds, one that Close says they can forget about her being able to duplicate.

“I already told the players, there is no way I have enough cool points to carry out (Nikki’s) fashion.
“She’s got me beat, hands down.”

Email Watson at [email protected]

Brantley Watson