Softball trounces Ohio in mercy-rule victory, postpones other spring-break games because of rain

Softball

UCLA 9
Ohio 1

By Min Kang

At the outset, the UCLA softball team figured to have a busy week.

But by Sunday, of the six games originally scheduled for the week, only one was played; the other five were all washed out by the spring showers that repeatedly hit the Los Angeles area.

UCLA’s lone game was on Thursday, in which the No. 7 Bruins (21-5) soundly defeated the Ohio Bobcats (10-12) 9-1, in just five innings of work.

The game was scoreless through three-and-a-half innings.

Junior catcher Dani Yudin then dealt the decisive blow against Ohio, a grand slam with two outs in the bottom of the fourth that opened up the game for the Bruins.

UCLA went on to tack on two more runs in the inning and three in the fifth to meet the minimum eight-run margin required for a mercy-rule win.

Senior Donna Kerr pitched all five innings, giving up only two hits, two walks and a run while striking out six to improve her record in the circle to 8-1 on the season.

The four games that were rained out included a Monday doubleheader against UC Santa Barbara, a Wednesday doubleheader against Cal Poly San Luis Obispo and a Sunday contest against Loyola Marymount.

UCLA and UCSB will make up the two games this Tuesday at Easton Stadium.

Makeup dates for the other three games have yet to be announced.

Compiled by Min Kang, Bruin Sports senior staff.

Min Kang