Planned human biology and society major straddles the divide between North and South Campus

By Ryan Miller

To Cindy La, going through the patterns of a South Campus major can be overwhelming.

La, a second-year biology student, said she had been striving for a change of pace and is strongly considering switching to a brand new major at UCLA: human biology and society.

“As a pre-medical student, I think other science majors focus on a lot of things that I’ll most likely see again when I get to medical school,” La said. “I think it is important, as an undergraduate, to explore other interests and topics.”

Beginning fall 2011, the UCLA Center for Society and Genetics will offer undergraduate degree programs in the field of human biology and society. Depending on emphasis, students will be able to choose whether they want to pursue a bachelor of arts or bachelor of science degree in their study, said Rich Moushegian, the student affairs officer within the UCLA Center for Society and Genetics.

“The major is interdisciplinary in its approach, as it incorporates classes that are within life science and the social science departments,” Moushegian said. “Everything from genetics to public health to bioethics, the major has a little something for everyone.”

Matt Abad-Santos, a fourth-year microbiology, immunology and molecular genetics student and student officer within the Society and Genetics Undergraduate Organization, said that he thinks the new major is a unique program that focuses on not only the scientific theory, but also the translation of what that means for society. He said it will be very discussion-based and will challenge students to think critically about many prevalent issues.

Aside from coursework, students will complete non-classroom requirements, including lecture series, internships and writing projects, Moushegian said.

“For someone who is not a definitive hard science or humanities student, this major might spark an interest,” Moushegian said.

The Center for Society and Genetics, which was founded in 2008, offered a society and genetics minor at its inception. Since then, it has focused on taking the next step by putting together a curriculum that would suffice as a major program, Abad-Santos said.

La said she likes that the new human biology and society major will focus on practical and ethical issues rather than details and numbers-based information. At the same time, she is nervous about switching to a brand new major that is just starting in the fall.

“Naturally, there is going to be some hesitancy about picking up a major that is just getting off its feet,” Moushegian said. “We have really tried to put in place a solid set of coursework, in addition to having a great set of full-time faculty, to alleviate any worries.”

Ryan Miller