Gymnastics scores a season-high in victory against North Carolina at Pauley Pavilion

Freshman Sydney Sawa, seen here on vault at the Pac-10 Preview, took first place in the all-around in UCLA’s meet against North Carolina State on Monday.

Gymnastics
UCLA 197.475
North Carolina State 195.025

By Patricia Lee

Home sweet home.

Sometimes, a simple trip home is just what is needed to achieve that feeling of comfort. Home is where family and friends are, and after a road trip, being at home is all that the weary traveler wants.

The No. 9 UCLA gymnastics team finally came home to Pauley Pavilion to have its first home meet in six weeks, and promptly beat No. 25 North Carolina State 197.475-195.025 in front of a home crowd of 2,052.

“They’ve been looking forward to this,” coach Valorie Kondos Field said of her gymnasts. “They love what they call “˜The Magic Pauley.’ They love being at home, the home crowd, the atmosphere of being here and the history and tradition of this place.”

Freshman Sydney Sawa definitely worked the magic of Pauley, finishing first in the all-around with a career-best score of 39.275 ““ led by her personal-best score of 9.925 in the floor exercise.

“I wasn’t thinking about my score at all,” Sawa said. “It’s really exciting to win the all-around. I actually wasn’t even supposed to be in the all-around, but at the last minute, they called me up first. I was a bit nervous, but I’m happy to do well.”

Junior Elyse Hopfner-Hibbs matched Sawa’s score in the floor exercise to help lead the Bruins to a season-best of 49.425 on floor. The Bruins also broke two more season records with scores of 49.4 in both the vault and the balance beam.

UCLA’s season-high performance on the vault was led by junior Tauny Frattone, who tied her career record on the vault with a 9.95.

The team’s season-high on the balance beam was led by several individual bests. Hopfner-Hibbs tied her season-high with a 9.95. Redshirt senior Brittani McCullough matched that score and set a career-high in the event. Senior Niki Tom also matched her season-high with a 9.825.

“We definitely compete more as a unit,” McCullough said. “We’re also having more fun.”

The Bruins have performed well since their mediocre showing at Stanford, and the team has averaged a score of 196.817 in its last three meets, the kind of success that Kondos Field believes has emerged because the gymnasts are having fun.

“They’ve always been a really strong team, but they’ve wanted it so badly they haven’t allowed themselves to have fun,” Kondos Field said. “But they certainly did (Monday), and the best part about that is that we can still get better.”

Patricia Lee