Hoping 'The Last Song' is the last Miley Cyrus film I watch

By Corinne Cunard

Every week, A&E contributor Corinne Cunard blogs about an awful movie she just can’t help but watch. Here is the movie she found herself loving to hate this week.

In the spirit of Valentine’s Day, I found myself watching a Nicholas Sparks movie. Unfortunately I didn’t end up watching one of his romantic greats, such as “The Notebook” or even “A Walk to Remember.” Instead, I found myself watching “The Last Song.”

I don’t know why I was drawn to this particular movie, but of course once I started watching I just couldn’t stop. I am not sure what should scare me more ““ Miley Cyrus’ acting or the fact that Nicholas Sparks wrote this screenplay specifically for her. Maybe the picture for the movie drew me in. After all, the poster makes it look like a cheesy romance worthy of my time.

About a minute into watching the movie I realized that it would be a challenge to watch Cyrus attempt to act. Cyrus’ character Ronnie initially makes an angst-infused entrance as she sits in a car with her hoodie down and a pouty look on her face because she has to spend the summer with her father Steve (Greg Kinnear) in his beautiful southern beach house.

It is as if Ronnie challenges anyone to make her happy as she walks down the street in her black combat boots, dressed in black attire and a sulky attitude. Unlike her adorable little brother Jonah (Bobby Coleman,) who actively enjoys his father’s company, Ronnie suffers from serious self-absorption and cannot seem to muster any affection for her loving father.

Ronnie somehow manages to attract hunky beach dude Will (Liam Hemsworth) after he accidentally spills her milkshake on her and she snaps at him. Will attempts to romance Ronnie and she eventually gives in and the wonderful romantic montage follows, showing them doing cutesy couple activities together.

Only once Ronnie learns that her father is terminally ill (with Nicholas Sparks’ favorite disease of choice, cancer) does she realize that she has been a genuinely awful, angst-ridden teenager. Then the movie forcibly shifts gears into portraying Ronnie as a good daughter who cares for her father and makes him proud with her music.

Don’t let the film’s beautiful cinematography fool you into thinking it isn’t a terrible movie, because once Miley Cyrus’ song begins to play at the end of the film over the last scene, you are once again reminded that you just watched one of her films. You could say that this movie would have been likable with a more capable actress playing Cyrus’ part, but the script would only allow for so much improvement since it unsuccessfully squishes family drama with romance.

So why is this a terrible movie I love to hate? As I was watching it, I noticed some of the moments that made me laugh, such as when she sings to “She Will Be Loved” in the car with Will and he praises her singing which sounds like a dog howling. Another great Miley moment involves an awful purple dress that she wears to Will’s sister’s wedding “”mdash; again, he compliments her poor taste.

This movie might be worth watching for the beautiful beach scenery. In that case, you can just put the movie on mute and ignore the moments where Miley is present, which might be slightly difficult. To prevent me from watching more Miley Cyrus films, I am always looking for another terrible movie to watch, so please leave me some recommendations.

Photo Courtesy of Touchstone Pictures

Corinne Cunard