Tuesday, March 19, 2024

After much delay, UCLA may have its first on-campus farmers’ market by the end of winter quarter

By Cody Geib

Bringing students one step closer to fresh fruit, the UCLA administration approved plans over winter break for the first on-campus farmers’ market.

The idea to bring a weekly farmers’ market to Bruin Plaza ran into several roadblocks last quarter, limiting it to one or two markets per quarter and pushing its start date back indefinitely.

Now, the first farmers’ market will take place at the end of winter quarter if everything goes as planned, said Emily Resnick, Undergraduate Students Association Council general representative and coordinator of the market.

After that, there will be at least one market during spring quarter.

Over winter break, Resnick and USAC President Jasmine Hill met with Administrative Vice Chancellor Sam Morabito and proposed their plans, which he then approved.

However, there are still more bureaucratic hoops to jump through.

The market has to be approved by the Los Angeles Health Department and must follow health regulations outlined in the Los Angeles County certified farmers’ market guide, Resnick said. The planners of the market must also submit an application to the Los Angeles Department of Agriculture and fill out a temporary food event application.

“We definitely did not anticipate having this many applications,” said Nicole Klein, one of the directors of the market. “It’s been difficult, but it’s going to be a worthwhile process once it’s all done.”

This week Resnick and her team will meet with Jack Raab, director of the UCLA Events Office, to discuss clearing the market with a fire marshal, acquiring temporary food permits and meeting other campus event requirements.

In addition to vendors selling fruit, vegetables and baked goods, the market planners are looking into having a radio station come to play music, as well as having campus groups perform, Klein said.

Resnick and her team have also researched vendors at the farmers’ market in Santa Monica, and they are now working on a student survey to send out through Facebook.

“Since this is an event for all the students at UCLA, we’re choosing things to appeal to all students,” Resnick said.

Whether students live in the dorms or have access to a kitchen, there will be something for everyone, she said.

Cody Geib