Sunday, December 8

About the Daily Bruin Editorial Board

Mission Statement

The Daily Bruin Editorial Board acts as the official voice of the newspaper and publishes editorials about topics relevant to UCLA twice a week, on every Monday and Thursday during the school year.

The board is composed of five standing members and several long-standing staff representatives who meet to discuss issues on campus and within the larger University of California system. Editorial positions are determined by majority vote and unsigned editorials represent the majority opinion of the newspaper.

The members of the board believe an independent and accessible student press is critical to ensuring a well-informed student population. As part of the Daily Bruin’s commitment to its readers, the board hopes to present a responsible and clear analysis of relevant events and news items affecting the lives of those we serve.

The board stands behind the preservation of the University’s academic mission, especially in the wake of years of state divestment in public higher education. The board believes that administration, at all levels, should be held accountable to students, faculty and staff. Similarly, a watchful eye must be cast on the actions of elected student officers to hold them accountable to the best interests of their constituents.

Editorials are intended to serve as the jumping point, and not the conclusion, to discussion. We encourage all readers to reach out to our board members and to respond to our editorials.

The Board

Angie Forburger is the 2019-2020 Daily Bruin editor in chief and a standing member on the Editorial Board. She was previously an assistant Sports editor from 2018-2019 covering the gymnastics, women’s volleyball, rowing, softball and swim & dive beats.

Joy Hong is the 2019-2020 Daily Bruin managing editor and a standing member on the Editorial Board. She was previously an assistant Sports editor from 2018-2019 covering the women’s basketball, men’s and women’s water polo, beach volleyball and men’s and women’s tennis beats.

Kristie-Valerie Hoang is the 2019-2020 Daily Bruin digital managing editor and a standing member on the Editorial Board. She was previously the Social Media Director from 2018-2019 and an assistant Photo editor from 2017-2018 on the arts and entertainment beat before that. 

Lucy Carroll is the 2019-2020 Daily Bruin Opinion editor and a standing member on the Editorial Board. She was previously an opinion columnist from 2018-2019. 

David Gray is the 2019-2020 Daily Bruin News editor and a standing member on the Editorial Board. He was previously an assistant News editor for the city and crime beat from 2018-2019. 

Eli Countryman is a staff representative on the Editorial Board and a senior staff reporter in the Arts & Entertainment section. He was previously an assistant Arts & Entertainment editor from 2018-2019 covering the music and fine arts beats.

Gabriel McCarthy is a staff representative on the Editorial Board and a senior staff reporter in the Sports section. He was previously an assistant Sports editor from 2018-2019 covering the women’s soccer, men’s volleyball, track and field, and men’s tennis beats. 

Melissa Morris is a staff representative on the Editorial Board and the 2019-2020 assistant Enterprise editor. She was previously an assistant News editor for the campus politics beat from 2018-2019.

Lena Nguyen is a staff representative on the Editorial Board and one of the 2019-2020 Assistant Opinion editors. She was previously an Opinion columnist, and writes about city policies and race.

Edgerrin Panaligan is a staff representative on the Editorial Board and one of the 2019-2020 assistant Opinion editors. He was previously an Opinion columnist, and writes about issues surrounding higher education and student life.

Jacob Preal is a staff representative on the Editorial Board and a senior staff reporter in the News section. He was previously the Editor in Chief from 2018-2019 and an assistant News editor for the city and crime beat from 2017-2018.

Hedy Wang is a staff representative on the Editorial Board and is the 2019-2020 Enterprise editor. She was previously the News editor from 2018-2019 and an assistant News editor for the features and student life beat from 2017-2018.

Read recent editorials »