43463_web.911.bannero.jpg
The attacks on the World Trade Center and Pentagon on Sept. 11, 2001 shaped the world a generation of Americans have grown up in. Here, we tell some of their stories, in the hopes of embodying both the remembrance of the day and the paths we have taken since.

News articles
Bruins memorialize the victims of 9/11 on Sunday and reflect on the past decade in America
The events of 9/11 could help America turn toward a better future by moving past ignorance, intolerance
Case study: Europeans see post-9/11 U.S. differently as result of Iraq War
From the readers: Where were you?

Opinion columns
In the Know: Anniversary of 9/11 is an opportunity for Americans to move beyond mourning and anger, count their blessings instead
In the Know: 9/11 exposed a complacent America’s vulnerability, but also its potential for heroism and greatness

_From the readers: How has 9/11 defined a generation?_
O! say can you see by the dawn’s early light, What so proudly we hailed at the twilight’s last gleaming?      How easy it is for things to fall apart, to succumb to chaos. As I looked around my third grade class, all I saw was confusion. We did not understand. All we could gather was the fear in the faces of our teachers, parents, news reporters – and this is what we could trust. As we saw the fall of the towers played over and over again, we learned to hate and fear those bearded men who dared cause such devastation. And we also learned that the only way to defend our country against such evil people was to wage war on our attackers. The war on terrorism had begun. Read more ...

Sanna Alas, first-year physiological sciences student

Every time I'm in a high-rise building, in an airport and especially on an airplane, I think about the horrific tragedy of Sept. 11, 2001.          For the past decade, every time I have been in the public sphere when the horrendous event of 9/11 was brought to topic, I have found myself the center of stares, disapproving looks, and waited upon for an apology or some explanation of what happened that day.          I am an American Muslim woman; I was born and raised in California, I'm a passionate advocate for social justice, I wear the hijab (head covering), I live and love being an American Muslim. Read more ...

Maryam Amirebrahimi, graduate student in education

_Ten years ago_

_Ten years since_