For the past four years, a group of UCLA students has crossed the border, breaking the barriers that prevent residents of a rural town from leading healthy lives. The Fellowship for International Service and Health sets up a medical clinic in Maclovio Rojas, Mexico several times a quarter. They cannot solve all the problems that plague the impoverished community, but residents still say the clinic is an invaluable service.

Fellowship for International Service and Health open free health clinic in Maclovio Rojas, Mexico

MACLOVIO ROJAS, MEXICO — They’d heard of a small community in Mexico, nestled close to the border and somewhere along the road to Tecate. With no directions other than these sparse facts, David Carreon and B.J. Swanner set out to find Maclovio Rojas in 2006.

UCLA students aid struggling town in Mexico

MACLOVIO ROJAS, MEXICO — The local market was emptier than usual, but even in the light rain, there was still a line of people waiting to be seen at the makeshift clinic. Staffed by UCLA students, it is one of the only sources of medical help in Maclovio Rojas, a town just southeast of Tijuana, Mexico. The students are part of UCLA’s Fellowship for International Service and Health.

Despite danger, UCLA students continue to cross the border

MACLOVIO ROJAS, MEXICO — Despite formal warnings from the U.S. State Department about safety in Mexico, the Fellowship for International Service and Health (FISH) has continued to trek across the border. It’s not the only one making the journey.