Baseball falls to UC Irvine on the road after trailing for entire game

Sophomore designated hitter/left-hander Josh Hahn has a team-high .636 on-base percentage through No. 8 UCLA baseball’s first six games. (Andy Bao/Daily Bruin staff)

Baseball

UC Irvine7

By Olivia Simons

The Bruins dug themselves an early hole they could not climb out of.

No. 8 UCLA baseball (3-3) lost to UC Irvine (4-1) 7-3 at Anteater Ballpark on Saturday afternoon, evening the series at 1-1. The Anteaters scored four runs in the first inning, all unearned because of a fielding error by junior second baseman Mikey Perez.

While the Bruins were able to quiet the Anteaters’ scoring after the third inning and began scoring runs of their own, it was not enough to catch up to UC Irvine.

“It was kind of a mistake-filled three innings,” said coach John Savage. “We were down 7-0 after three innings so it wasn’t the position we wanted to be in. … We dug ourselves a pretty big hole.”

UC Irvine loaded the bases in the first inning via two walks and the fielding error by Perez. Designated hitter Justin Torres doubled to right, driving in two runs, and a single from catcher Jacob Castro scored a pair, bringing the score to 4-0 at the bottom of the first.

The Anteaters scored their next three runs on two RBI singles in the bottom of the third. This inning would be the end of junior pitcher Jesse Bergin’s time on the mound.

The scoring began for the Bruins in the next inning with a leadoff double from junior catcher Noah Cardenas. Sophomore right fielder Michael Curialle brought him home with another double, and his and Cardenas’ hits were the Bruins’ only extra-base knocks of the game.

“We were looking to drive the ball (Saturday) a lot more than we’ve driven the ball, that’s for sure,” Savage said. “We haven’t had much impact with the ball. I think walks are a good sign. Small ball is a part of our offense but we also want to hit, and we haven’t really hit.”

The next run for UCLA came in the top of the fifth, when sophomore designated hitter/left-hander Josh Hahn walked home redshirt junior center fielder Kevin Kendall with the bases loaded. This caused a pitching change for UC Irvine, as starter Peter Van Loon left the game in favor of right-hander Michael Frias.

“I just wanted to see pitches,” Hahn said. “(Van Loon) was kind of scattered, losing a little momentum, so he was at the end of his outing. I was just trying to see if I could get a pitch over the plate, but he was missing all over the place.”

Frias was able to record the last out of the inning via fielder’s choice, stranding three runners for the Bruins and leaving the deficit at 7-2.

Pitching for UCLA in the fourth and fifth was sophomore left-hander Jake Saum, who over his two innings of work recorded no walks, two strikeouts, two hits and no runs. His scoreless outing paved the way for four more Bruin relievers, who over their three innings of work only allowed two hits and did not give up any runs.

“The main thing as a reliever is to come into whatever situation you can and do the best you can to limit the damage,” Saum said. “The team really needed a zero going into the fourth inning since we were down by a lot, so I just did the best I could to give us a zero and maybe give us a little motivation to get going, to score some runs.”

The third and final run for UCLA came in the top of the ninth, when junior shortstop Matt McLain shot an RBI single to right, scoring Kendall. Cardenas was unable to continue the ninth-inning rally, flying out to record the third out and end the game.

“It was a disappointment today,” Hahn said. “But it’s also another challenge, another opportunity for us to create our identity and who we are as a team and come back stronger, and come back ready to play some Bruin baseball tomorrow.”

The rubber match of the series starts Sunday at 2 p.m. at Jackie Robinson Stadium, as the Bruins have the chance to earn their first series win of the season.

Olivia Simons | Quad editor
Simons is the 2023-2024 Quad editor. She was previously the 2022-2023 managing editor, an assistant Sports editor on the baseball, women's tennis, men's tennis, swim and dive and rowing beats and a reporter on the baseball and women's tennis beats. She is also a fourth-year student from Oakland, California.