Friday, December 6

Study finds short-term stays in polluted cities negatively impact health

Los Angeles residents who visited Beijing for 10 weeks during the summers of 2014 and 2015 exhibited poorer health as a result of their stay, according to a study led by UCLA and Peking University researchers. (Daily Bruin file photo)

Visiting highly polluted cities even for a short time may impact your health, according to a new collaborative study between UCLA and Peking University.

The researchers tracked health indicators of 26 healthy, nonsmoking Los Angeles residents before, during and after they spent 10 weeks in Beijing during the summers of 2014 and 2015, according to the study. The residents had a mean age of 23.8 years, and 14 were wƒomen.

This is the first study to look at the cardiovascular health effects of a short-term stay in a polluted city, the researchers said in a UCLA Newsroom article. The study was published in Circulation, a journal run by the American Heart Association, on Nov. 20.

The study found participants faced a higher risk of heart problems as a result of their stay. However, the overall effects of their time in Beijing reversed within four to seven weeks, according to the study.

Beijing’s concentration of particulates less than 2.5 mm in diameter was 86 micrograms per cubic millimeter of air in 2014 and 81 micrograms per cubic millimeter in 2015, according to the World Health Organization’s ambient air quality database.

Rising particulate levels led Beijing to issue its first and second red alerts for air pollution in December 2015.

Although Beijing’s air quality has improved – it was down to 58.2 micrograms of particles less than 2.5 per cubic millimeter of air in 2018, according to the website AirVisual – globally, 4.2 million premature deaths were attributable to air pollution in 2016, according to the World Health Organization. In 2016, 91% of the world lived in locations where the WHO’s recommended air quality is not met, the organization stated.

Assistant News editor

Nucci is the 2019-2020 Assistant News editor for the Features & Student Life beat. She was previously a contributor for the Campus Politics beat from 2018-2019 and Copy staff from 2017-2019.

• Mercedes

I frequently earn as much as $17,000-$18,000 each month using the internet. After doing work so wholeheartedly, I ended up losing my job in my company where I have given loads of years. I truly required a reliable source of income. I am not into “get rich overnight” deals as you can see all across the net. Those are all kind of ponzi network marketing strategies in which you are required to first make interested customers and then sell a product to friends and family or any person so that they will likely be in your team. Internet job offers amazing benefits like I am usually home with my children and can enjoy a lot of leisure time and go out for family trips. Here’s the fastest way to start >>> earn10keachmonth.hexe.in