Los Angeles: Off the beaten trail

By Kanishka Mehra, Lauren Man, Amy Dixon, Kristie-Valerie Hoang, Tanmay Shankar

The Getty View Trail begins on the Casiano Road and is just a 15-minute drive from campus. The trail traverses the mountainside east of the Sepulveda Pass. As the name suggests, the trail offers overhead views of the Getty Center and the I-405 freeway, as well as the mansions of Bel-Air Canyon.

(Tanmay Shankar/Daily Bruin)

Murphy Ranch is a heavily graffitied ruin located in Rustic Canyon, in the Pacific Palisades. It was built by Nazi sympathizers as a self-sufficient farm during World War II. Only a few miles west of campus, the trailhead is accessible by bus route 602.

(Lauren Man/Daily Bruin)

At around 2,472 feet above sea level, the Topanga Lookout is an ideal spot to catch the sunrise as the marine layer shrouds the LA basin.

(Kanishka Mehra/Daily Bruin)

Graffiti is juxtaposed with the otherwise barren mountain landscape around the Topanga Lookout Trail in the Santa Monica Mountains.

(Kanishka Mehra/Daily Bruin)

The lush landscapes of the Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area, located inland from Malibu along the Pacific Coast Highway, glisten with flora in the springtime.

(Kanishka Mehra/Daily Bruin)

Accessible from Mulholland Drive near the Cahuenga Pass, a short trail along Runyon Canyon rewards hikers with views of the Hollywood Sign and the city.

(Tanmay Shankar/Daily Bruin)

The trails around Griffith Park provide hikers with iconic views of the Griffith Observatory on one side and the Hollywood Sign on the other.

(Kanishka Mehra/Daily Bruin)

On a clear day, visitors to the Griffith Observatory can enjoy a sprawling vista of Los Angeles, stretching all the way to the Palos Verdes Peninsula.

(Tanmay Shankar/Daily Bruin)

Mount Hollywood offers panoramic views of various Los Angeles attractions, including the Hollywood Sign, Griffith Observatory, as well as Downtown LA and the San Gabriel Mountains. One can take public transport or drive to Griffith Observatory, situated in the mountains above the Los Feliz neighborhood, for a 3.2-mile roundtrip hike to the peak.

(Lauren Man/Daily Bruin)

Rays of light shine through the early morning fog at the Dawn Mine trail, located in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains above Altadena. The trail runs parallel to a creek, sheltered by dense foliage.

(Kristie-Valerie Hoang/Daily Bruin)

The Dawn Mine Trail connects to the Sunset Ridge Trail, leaving the lush forest for expansive views of Millard Canyon Falls and the San Gabriel Mountains.

(Amy Dixon/Daily Bruin)

Texas Canyon is a 50-minute drive north of campus in the high desert near Santa Clarita. Monumental rock formations dot the chaparral-covered hills, making it a popular spot for rock climbers.

(Lauren Man/Daily Bruin)

Poppies carpet the Antelope Valley California Poppy Reserve every spring, covering the prairie with a sheet of orange. Just over an hour’s drive north of campus, the reserve is a common spot for students looking to take photos of the annual blooms.

(Lauren Man/Daily Bruin)

Devil’s Punchbowl Natural Area and Nature Center, located just over an hour’s drive from campus on the northern end of the Angeles National Forest, features layered rock formations created by the San Andreas Fault, as well as panoramic views of Antelope Valley.

(Tanmay Shankar/Daily Bruin)

The Mojave Desert, which surrounds the Antelope Valley in Northern Los Angeles County, offers some of the clearest and darkest views of the night sky in California, making it a prime spot for stargazing and astrophotography

(Tanmay Shankar/Daily Bruin)

Kanishka Mehra | Senior Staff
Mehra is a senior staffer and was previously the 2020-21 Photo Editor for the Daily Bruin. Before that, she was an Assistant Photo editor on the Arts & Entertainment beat. She is pursuing a B.A. in psychology with minors in anthropology & labor and workplace studies, and she also contributes to News, Arts and The Quad.
Lauren Man | Assistant Photo editor
Man is currently a senior staffer in the photo department. She previously served as the assistant photo editor on the news beat. She is also a fourth-year marine biology major with a minor in environmental systems and society.
Amy Dixon | Alumna
Dixon was the 2018-2019 Photo editor. She was previously a 2017-2018 assistant Photo editor.
Hoang was the 2019-2020 Digital Managing editor of the Daily Bruin. She was last year's Social Media Director and was previously an Assistant Photo editor on the Arts and Entertainment beat before that. Hoang additionally covers campus politics, national and higher education and is a senior staff photographer.
Tanmay Shankar | Senior staff photographer
Tanmay is a senior staff photographer and member of the editorial board. He was previously an assistant Photo editor covering the sports beat.