Monday, October 21

Need help navigating UCLA? Here’s a starter’s guide to key campus organizations.

graphic.studentresources-02.png

UCLA is a buzzing hive of activity, offering more than 1,000 student clubs and organizations. For more than 9,000 admitted students entering UCLA this fall, understanding everything UCLA has to offer can be an overwhelming experience.

Here’s a starter’s guide to some of the resources and programs on campus dedicated to helping new students smoothly transition into college.

Academic:

College Academic Counseling
Murphy Hall

CAC provides academic counseling for all UCLA students within the College of Letters and Science. Students can meet with counselors to plan their degrees, select courses, create postgraduate plans and navigate campus resources. Students can schedule appointments at A316 in Murphy Hall, or drop in during open hours. CAC also hosts a variety of academic workshops each quarter.

CAC workshops are taught in either 30 or 90 minute sessions and are designed to help students learn how to plan out their degree requirements, prepare for graduation or learn about the Expected Cumulative Progress policy, which expects students of the College of Letters and Science to take a minimum of 13 units per quarter in order to stay on track to graduate.

Student Transfer Center:
Kerckhoff Hall

The UCLA Transfer Student Center provides resources specific to transfer students, such as advice on finding internships or how to become involved in research. For students with financial need, the transfer center gives out scholarships and financial support through meal vouchers and grants. The center also connects new students with continuing students through a mentorship program and hosts social events for new students such as “Transfer Transitions,” in which incoming transfers are connected to other students in their major and learn about campus resources available to them.

The Dashew Center for International Students and Scholars
Tom Bradley International Hall

The Dashew Center is dedicated to providing resources and information for international students. It also offers programming such as the English Language Circle, in which students can learn about the English language and practice their speaking skills. Students also have access to a study space at Tom Bradley International Hall, complete with coffee and snacks.

Additionally, the center offers regular workshops for academic and financial planning announced on its website and Facebook page. The center offers programs for undergraduate and graduate international students, as well as faculty.

Health and Safety:

Counseling and Psychological Services
John Wooden Center West

CAPS is the mental health clinic at UCLA. It offers crisis counseling, group therapy and individual psychotherapy sessions, among other services. CAPS provides a maximum of six appointments per academic year for students covered by the University of California Student Health Insurance Plan, and three appointments for those without the plan. Students seeking the center’s services can drop by the center to complete a “Brief Screen” form and meet with a counselor to assess treatment needs.

Related student groups: Wazo Connect, the Outreach Peer Network at UCLA, the Undergraduate Students Association Council Student Wellness Commission.

Title IX Office
Murphy Hall

The Title IX office investigates allegations of sex and gender discrimination. All UCLA students and faculty can file an anonymous report, which the office will assess to determine if the incident counts as prohibited conduct and whether or not it falls under the university’s jurisdiction. After the preliminary assessment, the report is addressed depending on the severity of the case. The report may be resolved through informal processes such as mediation and separation of parties, or formal processes that may lead to disciplinary actions ranging from warning to suspension to dismissal.

Campus Assault Resources & Education Program:
Murphy Hall

The UCLA CARE Program provides support to victims of sexual assault and harassment at UCLA. It helps victims navigate the reporting process, obtain school accommodations and locate financial and medical resources. It also offers healing programs for survivors, such as yoga, journaling, music and art. In addition, CARE regularly hosts prevention education workshops on topics such as dating violence, stalking and rape culture.

Related student groups: Bruin Consent Coalition, the Center for the Study of Women, the UCLA Sexual Health Coalition, the LGBT Campus Resource Center, the UCLA School of Law and Resilience In your Student Experience.

Financial:

Scholarship Resource Center
Covel Commons

The UCLA SRC helps students apply for scholarships and offers a large database of scholarship listings. Students can schedule individual appointments to get help writing and proofreading their scholarship applications. Additionally, the center hosts quarterly workshops on topics like requesting letters of recommendation and writing personal statements.

Interest groups:

Community Programs Office
Student Activities Center

The CPO supports students from underserved communities. Its stated goals are to increase access to higher education, raise retention and graduation rates, and improve health care outcomes for disadvantaged communities. It is the umbrella department for 25 student-initiated community service projects such as the Mentors Empowering and Nurturing Through Education program.

Bruin Resource Center
Student Activities Center

The UCLA Bruin Resource Center is dedicated to creating a more inclusive campus environment. It is the umbrella organization for group-specific programs such as the Transfer Student Center, the Veteran Resource Center and the Undocumented Student Program.

LGBT Campus Resource Center
Student Activities Center

The LGBT Campus Resource Center compiles resources on LGBTQ issues such as coming out and sexual health. It hosts the Lavender Graduation ceremony every year to highlight the achievements of LGBTQ students. The center also hosts a series of informational programs open to all students, such as Allyship Training and LGBTQ 101 and Ally Resources workshops.

• Lance

Good advice, even for int’l students because being an international student away from home is difficult, compounded by our complex culture and language problems. Welcoming and assimilation assistance must come from numerous sources, including the White House, to aid these young people embarking on life’s journey.
    Most struggle in their efforts and need guidance from schools’ international departments, immigration protection, host families, concerned neighbors and fellow students, and even informative books to extend a cultural helping hand.
    Something that might help anyone coming to the US is the award-winning worldwide book/ebook “What Foreigners Need To Know About America From A To Z: How to Understand Crazy American Culture, People, Government, Business, Language and More.”
    Used in foreign Fulbright student programs and endorsed worldwide by ambassadors, educators, and editors, it identifies how “foreigners” have become successful in the US, including students.
    It explains how to cope with a confusing new culture and friendship process, and daunting classroom differences. It explains how US businesses operate and how to get a job (which differs from most countries), a must for those who want to work with/for an American firm here or overseas.
    It also identifies the most common English grammar and speech problems foreigners have and tips for easily overcoming them, the number one stumbling block they say they have to succeeding here.
    Good luck to all at UCLA or wherever you study or wherever you come from, because that is the TRUE spirit of the American PEOPLE, not a few in government who shout the loudest! Supporters of int’l students must shout louder.