Global rank names UCLA No. 2 public university in US, No. 11 university in world

UCLA was named the No. 2 public university in the United States and the No. 11 university in the world, according to the 2019 Academic Ranking of World Universities. UCLA held the same position in the ranking as last year, both among public universities and among all universities (Daily Bruin file photo)

By Julia Shapero

UCLA was named the No. 2 public university in the United States and the No. 11 university in the world, according to a ranking released Thursday.

The 2019 Academic Ranking of World Universities, issued by ShanghaiRanking Consultancy, ranked the top 1,000 universities in the world based on the number of faculty and alumni receiving Nobel Prizes and Field Medals, the number of Highly Cited Researchers, the number of papers published in the scientific journals of “Nature” and “Science,” the total number of papers listed in major citation indices and the number of full-time faculty.

UCLA held the same position in the ranking as 2018, both among public universities and among all universities.

The ranking named UC Berkeley as the No. 1 public university and the No. 5 university in the world.

The other universities in the top 10 included Harvard, Stanford, University of Cambridge, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Princeton, University of Oxford, Columbia, California Institute of Technology and University of Chicago.

Julia Shapero | Assistant News editor
Shapero is a senior staff News reporter. She was previously an assistant News editor in the National News & Higher Education beat. Shapero is a fourth-year political science student who enjoys covering national and statewide news.