Former UCLA running back arrested for attempted murder, attempted armed robbery

Craig Lee, a former running back for UCLA, was arrested July 18 for his alleged complicity in a 2016 armed robbery of a medical marijuana dispensary in Riverside County. He has been charged with one count of attempted second-degree robbery and one count of attempted murder. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By Kate Nucci and Sam Connon

This post was updated July 24 at 3:14 p.m.

A former UCLA football player was arrested Thursday in connection to an alleged attempt to rob a Riverside County medical marijuana dispensary in 2016, several outlets report.

Craig Lee, a running back for the Bruins from 2013 to 2015, was charged with one count of attempted murder and one count of attempted second-degree robbery, according to court documents. His arrest came after a three-year investigation into the alleged crime.

Lee joined UCLA football as a four-star recruit in 2013, but was dismissed from the team in 2015 after failing to qualify academically, according to a former LA Times reporter. The now-23-year-old did not take a single snap with the Bruins despite being ranked as the nation’s No. 21 running back in his high school recruiting class.

The arrest followed a complaint filed against Lee on June 27. Lee is being held at the Robert Presley Detention Center in Riverside, California, on $1 million bail. He will be arraigned Thursday at 8:30 a.m., according to court documents.

Contributing reports from Martín Bilbao, Daily Bruin contributor, and Marilyn Chavez-Martinez, Campus Politics editor.

Kate Nucci | Senior staff
Nucci was the 2019-2020 Assistant News editor for the Features & Student Life beat. She was previously a contributor for the Campus Politics beat from 2018-2019 and Copy staff from 2017-2019.
Sam Connon | Alumnus
Connon joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2017 and contributed until he graduated in 2021. He was the Sports editor for the 2019-2020 academic year, an assistant Sports editor for the 2018-2019 academic year and spent time on the football, men's basketball, women's basketball, baseball, men's soccer, cross country, men's golf and women's golf beats, while also contributing movie reviews for Arts & Entertainment.