Tuesday, June 18

Former UCLA Health physician charged with sexual battery relating to patient care

James Heaps, a former UCLA Health doctor, was charged with sexual battery Monday. He held staff privileges at Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center for about 31 years. (Daily Bruin file photo)

This post was updated June 11 at 3:06 p.m.

A former UCLA Health doctor pled not guilty Monday to charges of sexual battery in connection with his medical practice.

James Heaps, an obstetrician-gynecologist who had worked at UCLA Health since 2014, was charged with sexual battery relating to treatment he gave two patients in 2017 and 2018. Heaps surrendered to police Monday, according to an email statement from Chancellor Gene Block.

The Los Angeles County District Attorney’s office requested Heaps’ bail be set at $70,000, said Ricardo Santiago, an LA County district attorney public information officer. However, Heaps, 62, was released on his own recognizance, meaning he was permitted to leave without posting any bail after promising to appear in court as required.

UCLA Health notified Heaps April 25, 2018 that his employment would end following an investigation by the university into allegations of sexual misconduct against him. He retired June 28, 2018.

The investigation found at least four patients made allegations against Heaps. One allegation in particular caused UCLA to end his appointment, according to the UCLA Health website.

“The complaint that triggered our investigation and ultimately Dr. Heaps’ termination was of inappropriate and medically unnecessary touching and communications during a gynecologic procedure,” UCLA Health said on its website.

Before his employment at UCLA Health, Heaps worked part-time at the UCLA Arthur Ashe Center for Student Health & Wellness for 28 years and previously treated UCLA students. He also held medical staff privileges at the Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center from 1988 to 2018.

Efforts to review policies regarding sexual misconduct at UCLA clinical sites have been lead by a committee formed in March. The committee is comprised of Block, former University of California Regent and former California Secretary of State Joanne Corday Kozberg, former California Supreme Court Justice Carlos Moreno, former UC Regent and former assistant U.S. Attorney Lori Pelliccioni, and several medical experts.

Block announced Heaps’ arrest to the UCLA community via a campuswide email Monday.

“Sexual abuse in any form is unacceptable and represents an inexcusable breach of the physician-patient relationship,” Block said in the statement. “We are deeply sorry that a former UCLA physician violated our policies and standards, our trust and the trust of his patients.”

Heaps is under investigation by the California Department of Consumer Affairs, Santiago said.

The university also reported him before his arrest to the Medical Board of California, which licenses physicians under DCA jurisdiction.

The medical board is looking into the matter but declined to comment further due to confidentiality law, said Medical Board of California spokesperson Carlos Villatoro.

It is unclear if the board took action after UCLA reported their findings about Heaps. The Medical Board of California website shows Heaps is currently licensed until Oct. 31.

Heaps is scheduled to appear in the Airport Courthouse for a preliminary hearing on June 26.

Contributing reports from Melissa Morris, Daily Bruin senior staff.

June 11, 3:08 p.m.: This article was updated with information regarding Heaps’ plea, bail, allegations against him and the dates of his employment.

News Editor

Gray is the 2019-2020 News editor. He was previously an assistant News editor and a reporter for the city and crime beat. He is also a second year pre-communications student at UCLA.

• kristen

1 year before I decided to leave my prior work and I am very thrilled at this time…. I started out working via the internet, for business entity I discovered on-line, for a few hours everyday, and I obtain definitely more than I did on my office workplace job… My pay-check for past calendar month was 9,000 bucks… The most important thing regarding this is the extra free moments I acquired for my little kids…and that the only requirement for this job is simple typing and also having access to broadband… I am also able to devote quality time with my relatives and close friends and look after my kids as well as going on family holiday with them really consistently. Don’t ignore this opportunity and be sure to act fast. See, what it is about… unisonplot.klammert.de

• renee

Just one year past I made the decision to leave my old job and I am so joyful at this time…. I started working over the internet, for a company I discovered online, only a few hr each day, and I get way more than I did on my office job… My pay-check for past 30 days was 9,000 US dollars… The best thing about this is the additional free time I acquired for my children…and that the only requirement for this gig is basic typing and also access to internet… I am able to put in quality time with my relatives or buddies and also take care of my kids and also going on family holiday with them very frequently. Don’t avoid this chance and make sure to act quick. Try it out, what it is about… xnarecipe.and-you.de