Results announced for North Westwood Neighborhood Council’s first full-term election

North Westwood stakeholders voted Thursday at the John Wooden Center to elect members of the North Westwood Neighborhood Council for their 2019-2021 term. (Liz Ketcham/Assistant Photo editor)

By David Gray

The North Westwood Neighborhood Council held an election at John Wooden Center on Thursday to determine the members of its first full-term council.

The NWWNC represents the UCLA campus, the North Village and Westwood Village to the Los Angeles City Council. The NWWNC selected council members for their interim board in October following a vote to subdivide the jurisdiction of Westwood last May. All council members elected Thursday will serve a two-year term from 2019 to 2021, as per council bylaws.

Twenty-six candidates ran for 19 seats, five more than the selection in October. Four previous council members did not run in this election.

Election results are unofficial until Wednesday, after a challenge period has ended. During this period, the validity of the election can be challenged, which could result in disqualification of votes or candidates if a challenge is issued and found valid.

One at-large stakeholder seat is currently unfilled. Michael Skiles, newly elected council member and former president of the council, said a candidate initially applied for the seat but later withdrew. The new council will select a candidate to fill the seat, he added.

Four elected council members did not previously hold seats on the council.

The next monthly meeting of the NWWNC will be held June 5 from 7:30 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. in the Weyburn Commons Village View Room. Officers of the board will be elected at the meeting.

Results:

Homeowner stakeholder

Kaveh Navab

Renter stakeholder

1. Michael Skiles

2. Katja May

General resident stakeholder

1. Grayson Peters

2. Ashraf Beshay

Business stakeholder

1. Kevin Crummy

2. Josh Trifunovic

3. Alex Helmi

Worker stakeholder

Alisha Ranadive

Undergraduate student member

1. Nahian Arfin

2. Joey Russel

Graduate student Member

Paul Kurek

University staff or administrative member

Wren Reynolds

Faculty member

Ryan Snyder

Organizational stakeholder

1. Andrew Lewis

2. Ernesto Arciniega

At-large stakeholder

1. Amir Tarighat

2. Zahra Hajee

3. No candidate

David Gray | News Editor
Gray is the 2019-2020 News editor of the Daily Bruin. He was previously an assistant News editor and a reporter for the city and crime beat. He is also a third-year political science student at UCLA.