UCLA swim & dive coach retires after over three decades with Bruins

Coach Cyndi Gallagher is retiring after 31 years as head coach and 38 years in the athletic department.
(Daily Bruin file photo)

By Coral Smith

The Bruins will say goodbye to another long-term coach.

UCLA swimming and diving coach Cyndi Gallagher has announced that she will be retiring after 31 years as head coach, and 38 years total as a Bruin.

Gallagher came to UCLA first as a student-athlete, graduating in 1983. Gallagher set multiple school records during her time as a Bruin, and also represented the United States at the Olympic trials in 1976 and 1980.

Gallagher was hired as the head coach for the Bruins in 1988, and in her time has amassed a 202-107-2 win-loss record in dual meets. She has led the Bruins to two Pac-12 championships in 2001 and 2003, as well as to top-10 finishes at NCAAs in nine separate seasons.

“Being the head coach at UCLA was my first full-time job, and my only full-time job.  I can honestly say that coaching at UCLA is the greatest job in the world,” Gallagher said in a statement. “Dreams come true at UCLA and they sure did for me.”

Over her three decades, Gallagher coached 11 Olympians, 21 conference champions and 91 All-Americans. She was named Pac-12 Coach of the Year in 1990 and 2003.

UCLA Athletic Director Dan Guerrero said the search for a new head coach will begin immediately.

Coral Smith | Sports senior staff
Smith is currently a Sports senior staff writer on the gymnastics and softball beats. She was previously an assistant Sports editor for the softball, gymnastics, women's volleyball, swim & dive and rowing beats. Smith was previously a staff writer on the softball, women's volleyball, rowing and swim & dive beats.