Daily Bruin Abroad: Canada

By Lauren Man

Snow falls on Blackcomb Peak. The Whistler Blackcomb is a ski resort located in Whistler, British Columbia and it is the largest ski resort in North America.

(Lauren Man/Daily Bruin)

Two steller sea lions rest together in the shade in Vancouver Aquarium. Located in Stanley Park, the aquarium prides itself on being a conservation-oriented institution and has programs like Ocean Wise initiative, which aims to promote sustainable seafood and ocean-conscious plastic use.

(Lauren Man/Daily Bruin)

The Brockton Point Lighthouse stands on the easternmost tip of Stanley Park, the largest urban park in Canada. The park was also named the best park in the world by TripAdvisor in 2013.

(Lauren Man/Daily Bruin)

The Lions Gate Bridge opened in 1938 with funding from the Guinness brewing company. It was intended to provide access to its British Properties development in West Vancouver.

(Lauren Man/Daily Bruin)

Sunlight hits a totem pole at the Museum of Anthropology. It hosts one of the world’s finest displays of Northwest Coast First People's art, as well as a large collection of artifacts from around the world.

(Lauren Man/Daily Bruin)

Wreck Beach is a clothing-optional beach in the Pacific Spirit Regional Park, which is located on the University Endowment Lands on the British Columbia campus. This part of the beach contains a World War II bunker.

(Lauren Man/Daily Bruin)

Cherry blossoms bloom on the UBC campus. There are around 20 different varieties of cherry blossoms in the university.

(Lauren Man/Daily Bruin)

Alta Lake is the largest lake in the Whistler area. It freezes over during the winter, but during warmer months, it is filled with kayakers and paddleboarders.

(Lauren Man/Daily Bruin)

An Aquabus ferry travels across False Creek. The ferry service brings visitors to Granville Island from various locations in Downtown Vancouver.

(Lauren Man/Daily Bruin)

Moss drapes over a tree branch in Lynn Canyon Park. The park is an example of the rare temperate rainforest ecosystem, which features old-growth trees, creeks and waterfalls. Previously logged by early settlers, it is now home to some of the most famous hiking trails in North Vancouver.

(Lauren Man/Daily Bruin)

The Carnegie Community Centre is located at the corner of Hastings Street, one of the most economically distressed areas in Downtown Vancouver. Opened in 1903, it was the first public library in Vancouver and was repurposed as a museum, then a community center. It features Victorian-style architecture.

(Lauren Man/Daily Bruin)

The sun sets on the Dominion Building in Vancouver. It was the tallest commercial building in the British Empire upon its completion in 1910, standing tall at around 173 feet. At this day, it is home to Nuba, which is a Lebanese restaurant, and several offices.

(Lauren Man/Daily Bruin)

Lauren Man | Assistant Photo editor
Man is currently a senior staffer in the photo department. She previously served as the assistant photo editor on the news beat. She is also a fourth-year marine biology major with a minor in environmental systems and society.