Rowing escapes pursuit of Loyola Marymount Lions for second straight win

UCLA rowing took home its second win of the season on Saturday, defeating Loyola Marymount in Marina del Rey, California. (Lauren Man/Daily Bruin)

By Angie Forburger

The Bruins have notched back-to-back wins to start the season.

UCLA rowing (2-0) took home the dual-meet victory over Loyola Marymount (0-1) on Saturday in Marina del Rey, California, winning three of its four races against the Lions.

In the first race of the day, UCLA’s second varsity four finished behind LMU, posting a time of 7 minutes, 45.50 seconds compared to the Lions’ 7:36.50.

The Bruins came back with a win as their varsity four crew crossed the finish line in 7:19.30 – nine seconds ahead of the Lions.

In the race between UCLA’s second and third varsity eight and LMU’s second varsity eight, the Bruins second varsity eight boat finished first, recording a time of 6:32.70. The Lions’ second varsity eight finished in 6:42.80, edging out UCLA’s third varsity eight by just under a second.

UCLA’s varsity eight notched the Bruins’ last win of the day, recording a time of 6:13.48 to defeat LMU’s varsity eight by over 20 seconds.

UCLA will take a three-week break before returning to competition at the San Diego Crew Classic on April 6.

Angie Forburger | Alumna
Forburger joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2016 and contributed until she graduated in 2020. She was the Editor in Chief for the 2019-2020 academic year and an assistant Sports editor for the 2017-2018 and 2018-2019 academic years. Forburger spent time on the women's volleyball, gymnastics, softball, swim & dive and rowing beats.