Men’s basketball outscored by Oregon Ducks 44-28 in first half of rematch

Sophomore guard Kris Wilkes scored seven first-half points for UCLA men’s basketball. All seven of his points came in the first 6:01 of the game. (Kristie-Valerie Hoang/Daily Bruin senior staff)

By Sam Connon

The 3s were falling in the first half.

UCLA men’s basketball (14-13, 7-7 Pac-12) trails Oregon (15-11, 6-7) 44-28 at halftime. The Bruins bested the Ducks in the teams’ first meeting on Jan. 10, coming back from a 13-point deficit to clinch a 87-84 victory in overtime.

Oregon hit three straight 3s to put UCLA in a 11-2 hole, but a 13-4 run capped off by a David Singleton triple tied the game at 15 apiece.

The freshman guard made his second straight appearance in the starting lineup and scored six points on 2-of-3 shooting.

Both teams took a combined 22 shots from downtown, with the Ducks converting on eight and the Bruins knocking down four.

Forward Paul White led the charge for Oregon, knocking down 5-of-7 field goal attempts and four of his 3-pointers en route to 14 first-half points and four assists. Guard Victor Bailey Jr. did not attempt a 2-point field goal or record a single rebound, assist, block or steal, but he went 3-of-4 from long range.

The two teams were knotted at 20 with 11:17 to play, but the Ducks used a 24-8 run to take a 16-point lead at the half. The Bruins were shooting 7-of-14 up until that point, but went 3-of-14 during that run.

Freshman guard Jules Bernard leads UCLA with seven points while sophomore guard Kris Wilkes has seven. Sophomore guard Jaylen Hands’ team-high four assists helped the Bruins pick up eight of their 10 field goals off helpers.

Freshman center Moses Brown is shooting 3-of-7 from the field and is 0-of-4 from the free throw line after going 4-of-5 on Thursday against Oregon State. Brown has six points and a team-high six boards – four of which came on the offensive glass.

Sam Connon | Alumnus
Connon joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2017 and contributed until he graduated in 2021. He was the Sports editor for the 2019-2020 academic year, an assistant Sports editor for the 2018-2019 academic year and spent time on the football, men's basketball, women's basketball, baseball, men's soccer, cross country, men's golf and women's golf beats, while also contributing movie reviews for Arts & Entertainment.