Fielding School of Public Health receives $2m, plus $1m match, for scholarships

A $2 million gift from philanthropists Jean Balgrosky and Parker Hinshaw will fund the creation of the Jean Balgrosky and Parker Hinshaw Fellowship, which will help incoming students finance their tuition and living costs. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By Anna Rose Carter

The UCLA Fielding School of Public Health received $2 million to fund student scholarships.

The gift from philanthropists Jean Balgrosky and Parker Hinshaw will fund the creation of the Jean Balgrosky and Parker Hinshaw Fellowship, which will help incoming students finance their tuition and living costs. The UCLA Chancellor’s Centennial Scholars Match will match the gift with an additional $1 million, according to a university press release.

Balgrosky received her bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degrees from UCLA at the school of public health and was the first recipient of the Fielding School’s Raymond D. Goodman Scholarship in 1981. She has served as the chief information officer for large health systems such as Trinity Health and Scripps Health and serves on the Fielding School’s advisory board.

Hinshaw is the founder of several consulting firms in the health information technology field and has developed systems for Eli Lilly and Company and for Community Hospitals of Indianapolis, according to a university press release.

The two founded Bootstrap Venture Partners, which is a firm that invests in health-related companies.

The gift is part of the Centennial Campaign for UCLA, which recently surpassed its goal of raising $4.2 billion by December 2019.

Anna Rose Carter