UCLA Neurosurgery chair elected to National Academy of Medicine

Linda Liau is the second woman in America and the first Asian-American woman to lead an academic department of neurosurgery, and is part of the six percent of licensed neurosurgeons in the United States who are female. (Photo illustration courtesy of UCLA Health)

By Maddie Ostergaard

A UCLA professor was elected to the National Academy of Medicine on Monday.

Linda Liau, the chair of neurosurgery in the David Geffen School of Medicine, was elected to the academy for her achievements in studying the immunology of brain tumors and designing clinical trials of vaccines for glioblastomas, according to the National Academy of Medicine website.

The National Academy of Medicine recognizes people who have made contributions to the advancement of the medical sciences, health care and public health, according to a UCLA press release. Formed in 1970, the academy aims to provide independent analysis of health care, inform public policy decisions, encourage education and research, and increase public understanding of medical and health issues.

Liau, who is largely recognized for her expertise in brain tumor surgery, has performed over 2,000 brain tumor surgeries and has operated on patients from around the world.

She also conducts brain tumor research in UCLA’s Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center. There, she has been developing, studying and improving glioblastoma treatment strategies and for the past 25 years. She has written over 160 research articles, several book chapters, and textbooks.

Liau helped create one of the first personalized vaccines using patients’ tumor specimens and white blood cells to activate the immune system.

Liau is the second woman in America and the first Asian-American woman to lead an academic department of neurosurgery, and is part of the six percent of licensed neurosurgeons in the United States who are female, according to a university press release. As chair of the UCLA Department of Neurosurgery, she leads a team of more than 60 neurosurgeons, neuroscientists, residents, fellows and other specialists.

Liau is one of 26 UCLA medical school faculty members, both current and emeriti, who have been elected to the National Academy of Medicine.

Maddie Ostergaard
Ostergaard was the 2018-2019 assistant News editor of Features and Student Life. She was previously a News contributor. Ostergaard is a second-year Cognitive Science student at UCLA.