Women’s soccer defeat Washington by 2-0 away in season’s seventh shutout

Sophomore forward Ashley Sanchez recorded her fourth goal of the season against Washington on Friday. Last season, she finished with six goals and 12 assists in 23 games started. (Alice Naland/Daily Bruin)

By Cassidy Hunt

The Bruins have lengthened their win streak to four.

No. 10 UCLA women’s soccer (9-3-1, 4-2-0 Pac-12) defeated Washington (7-6-1, 2-4-0 Pac-12) by 2-0 on Friday night in Seattle. The four-game win streak is the Bruins’ longest this season.

“They came at us stronger and more physical (than we were expecting), but we kept our heads in the game and it ended up being a really good game for us,” said freshman midfielder Maricarmen Reyes.

UCLA controlled the ball early in the match but did not find the back of the net until the 26th minute. Sophomore midfielder Olivia Athens passed the ball through to sophomore forward Ashley Sanchez, who took advantage of a one-on-one opportunity to place a shot past Washington goalkeeper Siena Ruelas.

“They set really high and it took us a while to figure out what they were doing,” Sanchez said. “We had to get the ball and switch it quick. Once we figured out what they were doing, we could play the ball well.”

With less than eight minutes left in the match, sophomore midfielder/forward Delanie Sheehan doubled the Bruins’ lead and gave them a two-goal cushion with a shot that narrowly slipped past Ruelas.

“I felt relief when that goal was scored,” Sanchez said. “They were coming at us and we were only up 1-0 so it was a little nerve-wracking. Getting that goal really sealed the win for us.”

The Huskies recorded four shots on goal during the game and were unable to find the back of the net. The Bruins forced six saves from Ruelas, who blocked a number of close calls in the goal.

Junior goalkeeper Teagan Micah recorded four saves and posted her 23rd career shutout. UCLA has kept a clean sheet in three of its last four games, with seven total shutouts in the season.

“They made it difficult for us for the first 20 minutes,” said coach Amanda Cromwell. “They forced us to find our way behind them. We let them get a couple dangerous chances in the second half, but (Micah) had a nice save and I think (junior defender Kaiya McCullough) and (sophomore defender Karina Rodriguez) were fantastic, again.”

The Bruins have played without a number of strong players in their most recent games. Senior forward/midfielder Anika Rodriguez and junior defender Jacey Pederson are both currently on the disabled list. Senior forward/defender Hailie Mace and junior midfielder Jessie Fleming are expected to return from national team duty in the coming weeks.

The Bruins will return to Los Angeles for their final two home games against conference opponents Oregon (7-6-1, 1-5-0) and Oregon State (2-12, 1-5) before setting out on a three-game road trip to complete their season.

“Today we were super strong,” Reyes said. “So I think we’re ready for the rest of the season. Away, everything is so different, down to the weather. We’re going to like being at home. ”

Cassidy Hunt | Sports staff
Hunt is currently a Sports staff writer on the softball and women's soccer beats. She was previously a reporter on the gymnastics, women's water polo and swim & dive beats.