Daily Bruin Abroad: Italy

By Jenna Smith

Castel Sant’Angelo has served many functions as a building: fortress, castle, mausoleum, and now, a museum. Its height allows for excellent views of the entire city of Rome, including a view of St. Peter’s Basilica in Vatican City.

(Jenna Nicole Smith/Daily Bruin)

In addition to decadent plates of pasta, another classic Italian dish is gelato. It’s denser and more flavorful than ice cream, and gelaterias can be found on nearly every busy street.

(Jenna Nicole Smith/Daily Bruin)

Sant’Agnese in Agone is a church in Rome that overlooks the Piazza Navona, a plaza of bars and street art with a fountain in the center. In front of it is an Egyptian obelisk, many of which appear throughout Rome as a result of ancient conquests.

(Jenna Nicole Smith/Daily Bruin)

Rome is famous for a plethora of landmarks: the Colosseum, the Roman Forum, the Pantheon and more. A lesser-known treasure is the Bioparco di Roma. The zoological garden hosts over a thousand animals.

(Jenna Nicole Smith/Daily Bruin)

In the same public park as the zoo – the Villa Borghese gardens – there is a series of museums, including the Borghese Gallery. Art decks not only the floors and walls but every ceiling as well.

(Jenna Nicole Smith/Daily Bruin)

Every day, the Leaning Tower of Pisa attracts an abundance of tourists, who often pose to look as if they are supporting the tower. As time passes, it leans at an increasingly precarious angle, but restoration is done over the years to counteract this.

(Jenna Nicole Smith/Daily Bruin)

The Arno river cuts through the city of Florence. Its oldest bridge, Ponte Vecchio, is known for the shops built along it.

(Jenna Nicole Smith/Daily Bruin)

During the summer, Rome’s Tiber river serves as an evening hub for pop-up restaurants with dim lighting, live music and delicious dinner.

(Jenna Nicole Smith/Daily Bruin)

The Pantheon, unlike many Roman tourist attractions, has no entry fee. Natural light enters the church through a circular opening at the peak of its dome, which is the largest unreinforced concrete dome in history.

(Jenna Nicole Smith/Daily Bruin)

Given that Rome is bustling with tourists, street performers are very prominent, and provide entertainment for tips and art for purchase at every site. The bubbles created by this man attracted the attention of many kids and served as an excellent photo opportunity for parents.

(Jenna Nicole Smith/Daily Bruin)

A central landmark of Florence is the Duomo, or cathedral. While the ornate exterior is quite detailed, its interior was designed much more simply. The stone walls are accented red, white and green, as a tribute to the Italian flag.

(Jenna Nicole Smith/Daily Bruin)

The Pontifical Swiss Guard, clad in uniforms reminiscent of the Renaissance, are found throughout Vatican City and serve to maintain the safety of the Pope.

(Jenna Nicole Smith/Daily Bruin)

Located within the Rome city limits, Vatican City is is the smallest country in the world. Entry points are limited and entry comes at a fee. In it lies St. Peter’s Basilica, the largest church in the world, as well as the Sistine Chapel.

(Jenna Nicole Smith/Daily Bruin)

Jenna Smith