The Rundown: Oct. 10

UCLA women’s basketball finalized its schedule for the upcoming season, announcing its conference matchups Thursday. (Axel Lopez/Assistant Photo editor)

By Joy Hong and Sam Connon

Women’s basketball
Joy Hong, assistant Sports editor

The full schedule is out.

UCLA women’s basketball announced its nonconference schedule back on Aug. 23, but finalized its Pac-12 games Thursday to round out the 2018-2019 season.

The Bruins will open up conference play taking on crosstown rival the USC Trojans at the Galen Center on Dec. 30. The Bruins faced the Trojans in back-to-back games last season, but won’t face USC again this season until Jan. 20.

To kick off the new year, the Bruins will travel to the Bay Area, taking on California and Stanford on Jan. 4 and Jan. 6, respectively. UCLA’s road game against Stanford last season was its first conference loss.

The Bruins will host Oregon State and Oregon on Jan. 11 and Jan. 13, respectively, before playing USC a second time.

In the following week, UCLA will travel to face Arizona State and Arizona, and then will open up February with home games against Washington State and Washington. The four teams are the only conference schools the Bruins will face just once.

UCLA will be on the road again the weekend of Feb. 8 to face Colorado and Utah, before playing Cal and Stanford for a second time Feb. 15 and Feb. 17, respectively.

UCLA will make its last conference road trip to play Oregon and Oregon State on the road, before hosting Utah and Colorado for UCLA’s final home stand.

The Pac-12 tournament is set for March 7 through 10 in Las Vegas. It will be the first time the tournament is not held at the KeyArena in Seattle since 2012.

Men’s basketball
Sam Connon, assistant Sports editor

Another Bruin has fallen before taking the court in 2018.

Freshman guard Tyger Campbell tore his ACL in team practice Sunday, making him the second member of coach Steve Alford’s 2018 recruiting class to go down before the season opener.

The four-star recruit is the No. 91 ranked prospect in his class and averaged 15.5 points and 7.2 assists while shooting 42 percent from three in his senior year of high school.

Campbell was expected to take on backup point guard duties, with sophomore Jaylen Hands being the only other guard with experience at the point. Alford said Tuesday that sophomore guard Chris Smith and freshman guard David Singleton could help Hands with ball-handling duties.

Campbell’s injury comes less than two weeks after freshman forward Shareef O’Neal was shut down for the season after team doctors discovered a heart complication that will require surgery.

Redshirt junior forward Alex Olesinski also went down with a stress fracture in his right foot in late September. Olesinski played all 33 games for the Bruins last year after redshirting the 2016-2017 season due to left foot injuries.

Joy Hong | Alumna
Hong joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2017 and contributed until 2020. She was the Managing editor for the 2019-2020 academic year and an assistant Sports editor for the 2018-2019 academic year. Hong spent time on the women's basketball, men's water polo, women's water polo, women's tennis and beach volleyball beats.
Sam Connon | Alumnus
Connon joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2017 and contributed until he graduated in 2021. He was the Sports editor for the 2019-2020 academic year, an assistant Sports editor for the 2018-2019 academic year and spent time on the football, men's basketball, women's basketball, baseball, men's soccer, cross country, men's golf and women's golf beats, while also contributing movie reviews for Arts & Entertainment.