Daily Bruin Abroad: Mexico

By Axel Lopez

Commonly referred to as ''El Padre de la Patria,'' Miguel Hidalgo y Castillo was a leader of the Mexican War of Independence. He was famously known for his ''Grito de Dolores'' speech, given in the early hours of Sept. 16, 1810, which called upon the Mexican-born ''criollos'' to revolt against the European-born Spaniards. Hidalgo’s name became a symbol of independence for many Mexicans, and sculptures of him can be found in cities throughout the country.

(Axel Lopez/Daily Bruin)

''La Danza de Viejos y Viejas'' is a traditional Mexican dance originating in Jalisco, a state west of Guanajuato.

(Axel Lopez/Daily Bruin)

The Mine of the Valenciana was a Spanish silver mine that provided Spain with nearly two-thirds of its silver during the period Mexico was under colonial rule. It is now a UNESCO World Heritage Site, and is visited by many tourists year-round.

(Axel Lopez/Daily Bruin)

The ''Teátro Juarez'' is a neoclassical-style theater located in the center of Guanajuato City, the capital of the state of Guanajuato. Its construction began in 1872, and it is one of the most famous theaters of Mexico. Since 1972, the theater has been the home for the International Cervantes Festival, a three-week festival regarded as Latin America’s biggest cultural celebration.

(Axel Lopez/Daily Bruin)

The stone monument of ''El Pípila'' honors Juan José de los Reyes Martínez Amaro, a local hero of Guanajuato City during the Mexican War of Independence. His monument can be found at the top of a hill, at the edge of the city. To get to the monument, visitors can take a funicular to and from the hill.

(Axel Lopez/Daily Bruin)

Guanajuato City was the birthplace of the Mexican War of Independence. Visitors can see a view of the colonial city by taking a funicular to the El Pípila monument.

(Axel Lopez/Daily Bruin)

Corn stands can be seen throughout the streets of the capital. Vendors usually serve corn on the cob, or shred it into tiny pieces to be served in a cup. Customers have the choice of adding shredded white cheese, chili powder, lemon juice, mayonnaise and sour cream.

(Axel Lopez/Daily Bruin)

The city hall of Acámbaro, Guanajuato, located south of the capital, features a mural depicting the history of Mexico from pre-Hispanic influence all the way to the Mexican Revolution, which began in 1910.

(Axel Lopez/Daily Bruin)

Traditional Mexican candies can be found in stands throughout the city, with prices varying by the vendor.

(Axel Lopez/Daily Bruin)

José Alfredo Jiménez was a Mexican singer-songwriter whose songs shaped much of Mexico’s musical heritage. He sang genres ranging from ranchera to mariachi, now a staple in Mexican music. A museum dedicated to his musical achievements and influence on Mexican culture is located in the city of Dolores Hidalgo, Guanajuato, neighboring the capital.

(Axel Lopez/Daily Bruin)

In the hills of the capital, visitors can rent rowboats to navigate through the reservoir ''La Presa de la Olla.''

(Axel Lopez/Daily Bruin)

''La Comisión de Deporte del Estado de Guanajuato'' organizes two-kilometer runs for children throughout multiple cities in Guanajuato.

(Axel Lopez/Daily Bruin)

The Basilica of Our Lady of Guanajuato, located in the capital, was constructed between 1671 and 1696 and is dedicated to Nuestra Señora de Guanajuato, the patron saint of the capital.

(Axel Lopez/Daily Bruin)

''El Callejón del Beso,'' or the Alley of the Kiss, is the location of a famous legend that tells the story of Doña Carmen and Don Luis, the daughter of a wealthy local and a poor miner, respectively. The two were forbidden from seeing each other, but would meet frequently through each other’s balconies, only 27 inches apart from one another. Visitors can now pay to kiss who they please from the famous balcony.

(Axel Lopez/Daily Bruin)

The ''Estudiantina'' is a musical group consisting of students from the University of Guanajuato. They serenade visitors as they walk through the streets of the capital.

(Axel Lopez/Daily Bruin)

The ''Alhóndiga de Granaditas'' was the historic site of the Battle for Grain Exchange during the Mexican War of Independence. It is now a historical museum showcasing pre-Hispanic art in Mexico and exhibitions on the heroes of the independence wars.

(Axel Lopez/Daily Bruin)

Axel Lopez | Alumnus
Lopez was a senior staff photographer from 2019-2020. He was previously an Assistant Photo editor from 2018-2019. He likes portraiture and sports photography.