Daily Bruin Abroad: Ireland

By Emma Skinner

Throughout the Wicklow Mountains region, green grass meets stone construction. This abandoned building stands overgrown with an unknown past.

(Emma Skinner/Daily Bruin)

Multiple lakes are located throughout the Wicklow Mountains region. They were formed during the last ice age as a result of glacier formation. This is signified by the sharp cliff faces that lead down to the lowest point of the lake.

(Emma Skinner/Daily Bruin)

The Wicklow Mountains National Park, located a mere hour outside central Dublin, is the largest national park in the country. During the summer, the snow melts to make way for purple and yellow wildflowers.

(Emma Skinner/Daily Bruin)

Glendalough is a 6th-century monastic site settled by St. Kevin. Today it stands as a popular tourist destination full of lakes, rivers, and multiple hiking trails. The monastery has not been in use since 1152 due to changes in the political landscape of Ireland.

(Emma Skinner/Daily Bruin)

This Celtic cross is a common sight across Ireland. It gained recognition and was popularized throughout the region in the Book of Kells, today held at Trinity College Dublin. If you look closely, you can see the swirling detail on the body of the cross that references a shaping technique in metal work – particularly jewelry.

(Emma Skinner/Daily Bruin)

It is said that fairies are the reason unexplainable things happen. The seanachie, or storyteller, of pre-Christian times would recite stories about mythical creatures. These myths were then incorporated into Christian tradition, having left a lasting impression.

(Emma Skinner/Daily Bruin)

This bridge marks the Meeting of the Waters, a site in Ireland where the Avonmore and Avonbeg rivers join as one. This singular river is known as the Avoca River.

(Emma Skinner/Daily Bruin)

Emma Skinner | Photographer