Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Bird implements automatic stop for scooters on Bruin Walk

By Sydney Coneeny

Users of Bird scooters will no longer be able to ride their scooters on Bruin Walk.

As riders approach Bruin Walk, their scooters will slow to a stop so they can walk them or dismount entirely, according to an email Bird Rides Inc. sent to users in the UCLA area Thursday.

The email reminded Bird users to ride their vehicles only in bike lanes, wear their helmets and obey all traffic laws. The email also stated that riders should avoid parking their Birds in front of stairways, walkways or handicap-accessible areas.

University police officers were seen issuing citations to electric scooter riders who violated the Bruin Walk dismount policy earlier this week.

Bruin Walk has maintained a strict Dismount Zone policy since 2009. Students who ride bicycles, scooters, skateboards or rollerblades must dismount or risk receiving a citation.

Sydney Coneeny | City and Crime editor
Coneeny is the 2018-2019 assistant News editor for the City and Crime beat. She was previously a contributor for the National News and Higher Education beat. She is a second-year pre-global studies student from the east coast.