Waugh to leave executive vice chancellor and provost post, return to faculty

Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost Scott Waugh will step down at the end of the academic year. Waugh has held the vice chancellor position since 2008. (Courtesy of UCLA Newsroom)

By Melissa Morris

UCLA’s executive vice chancellor and provost plans to step down and resume working as a faculty member.

Scott Waugh said he plans to leave his position as vice chancellor in June and return to research full time, said Chancellor Gene Block in a statement Tuesday.

“We will miss his warmth, humor and kindness,” Block said.

Waugh has been a student, history professor and vice chancellor at UCLA. He has held the vice chancellor position since 2008.

He has also served on the UC Council of Vice Chancellors, the UC Executive Budget Committee and the board of directors of the Center for Research Libraries during his tenure.

Block added he plans to begin looking for Waugh’s successor.

Melissa Morris | Alumna
Morris was previously the 2020-2021 Editor in chief. She was also the 2019-2020 assistant Enterprise editor as well as the 2018-2019 assistant News editor for the campus politics beat.