Women’s volleyball aims to strike against Cal after getting served by Stanford

Junior middle blocker Madeleine Gates recorded seven kills and three blocks in the Bruins’ straight-set loss to Stanford on Wednesday. UCLA will continue Pac-12 play when it takes on California on Friday. (Liz Ketcham/Assistant Photo editor)

Women’s volleyball

California
Friday, 7 p.m

Haas Pavilion
Pac-12 Networks

By Angie Forburger

Pac-12 play isn’t getting any easier for the Bruins.

After falling in straight sets to No. 2 Stanford on Wednesday night, No. 18 UCLA women’s volleyball (6-4, 1-2 Pac-12) will face unranked California (8-5, 0-2) in Berkeley on Friday night.

The Bruins have not lost to the Golden Bears since 2013, but coach Michael Sealy said the team’s mentality against every conference team remains the same.

“We all chose to be involved with the Pac-12,” Sealy said. “It’s play a match, reset, play a match, go home, play a match, reset. It doesn’t change for nine more weeks, so we just need to flush the bad stuff and focus on the next opponent.”

California comes into the match having lost two back-to-back matches against Stanford and Arizona State. However, the Golden Bears have averaged a .231 hitting percentage so far this season, surpassing the Bruins’ .208 attack percentage.

Three players in the California lineup have also already recorded over 120 kills on the year – a number that only sophomore outside hitter Mac May has reached for UCLA.

Outside hitter Mima Mirkovic leads the Golden Bears with 153 kills, 15 aces and 178 digs and has posted six double-doubles so far this season, tying for second in the Pac-12.

“We’re going to continue working on our defense, both blocking and back row,” said junior middle blocker Madeleine Gates. “(We’ll be) making sure that no matter what team is on the other side, we’re still playing our best and doing all the little things.”

UCLA opened conference play Sept. 19 against No. 13 USC and was swept. UCLA then took home a 3-1 win over No. 25 Utah before heading to Stanford.

Following three matches against ranked opponents, senior middle blocker Kyra Rogers – who totaled six kills and two blocks against the Cardinal – said she wants to create the same kind of momentum against California.

“We just need to come out really aggressive,” Rogers said. “Even though they aren’t ranked, they’re still a good team. Everyone in the Pac-12 can win at any moment.”

When looking to make improvements across the rest of the Pac-12 season, Sealy said it comes down to being committed in practice and playing with a greater sense of urgency.

“The analogy is a street fight,” Sealy said. “You’ve got to go out there and battle. I think when things don’t go our way all the time, we sometimes get a little flustered by it. I think we need to show up with the mindset of ‘Hey, individually what do I need to get better at (and) what am I willing to do to get better at that.’”

UCLA has not had a losing Pac-12 record since going 6-14 in 2013. With this year’s matches only just beginning, Rogers said there is no time to dwell on difficult losses moving forward.

“Resetting is going to be super important,” Rogers said. “Pac-12 is just a grind, and you’ve just got to keep resetting if you do lose.”

Angie Forburger | Alumna
Forburger joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2016 and contributed until she graduated in 2020. She was the Editor in Chief for the 2019-2020 academic year and an assistant Sports editor for the 2017-2018 and 2018-2019 academic years. Forburger spent time on the women's volleyball, gymnastics, softball, swim & dive and rowing beats.