Crosstown Clash: UCLA women’s volleyball falls to USC, losing in three straight sets

By Liz Ketcham

Junior middle blocker Madeleine Gates leaps to spike the ball across the court of the Galen Center at USC. Gates totaled three spikes during the match, her fewest so far this season.

(Liz Ketcham/Daily Bruin)

Gates and sophomore outside hitter Jenny Mosser block the ball from an attack by USC's Emily Baptista, a junior outside hitter.

(Liz Ketcham/Daily Bruin)

USC fans showed off their spirit, waving ''Beat UCLA'' shirts in the air.

(Liz Ketcham/Daily Bruin)

Senior middle blocker Kyra Rogers dives after the ball, but was unable to reach it before it hit the ground.

(Liz Ketcham/Daily Bruin)

Gates sets up for a kill, earning a point for the Bruins in the first set. Gates scored a total of nine points in the match, eight of which were kills.

(Liz Ketcham/Daily Bruin)

Junior libero Savvy Simo (right) receives a serve from USC rivals.

(Liz Ketcham/Daily Bruin)

At match point of the first set, USC fans stood up, cheering the Trojans to victory. The Bruins fell to USC 25-21.

(Liz Ketcham/Daily Bruin)

After an attempted dive by freshman setter Hawley Harrer (right), Simo (left) and Mosser run to save the ball.

(Liz Ketcham/Daily Bruin)

Mosser lunges for the ball, returning a serve from USC.

(Liz Ketcham/Daily Bruin)

Trojans celebrate a win over the Bruins. USC triumphed over UCLA in the second set, crushing them by 17 points in a 25-8 sweep.

(Liz Ketcham/Daily Bruin)

Mosser spikes the ball across the court, getting it past two Trojan blockers.

(Liz Ketcham/Daily Bruin)

USC fans cheered on the Trojans from the sidelines as they continued to lead the Bruins in the third set.

(Liz Ketcham/Daily Bruin)

Mosser attempts a hit, but is blocked by USC's Baptista and junior middle blocker Jasmine Gross.

(Liz Ketcham/Daily Bruin)

After a three-set sweep, the Trojans celebrate victory over their Bruin rivals with the Trojan band.

(Liz Ketcham/Daily Bruin)

Liz Ketcham | Alumna
Ketcham was the 2020-2021 Digital managing editor. She was previously the 2019-2020 Photo editor, as well as a 2018-2019 assistant Photo editor covering the News beat.