Wilton Speight named starting quarterback for season opener

Quarterback Wilton Speight will start for the Bruins in their season opener against Cincinnati on Saturday afternoon. The graduate transfer spent the last three seasons in Michigan, where he made 21 appearances. (Amy Dixon/Photo editor)

By Ryan Smith

UCLA football coach Chip Kelly named quarterback Wilton Speight the starter for the Bruins’ season opener against Cincinnati on Saturday.

The program made the announcement via Twitter on Thursday afternoon.

The graduate transfer from Michigan had been competing against other quarterbacks on the roster such as redshirt sophomore Devon Modster and freshman Dorian Thompson-Robinson in fall camp.

As a junior in 2016, Speight threw for 2,358 yards and 18 touchdowns, leading Michigan to a 10-3 record and a trip to the Orange Bowl.

Speight missed the final nine games of the Wolverines’ 2017 season after suffering a back injury against Purdue in October.

Ryan Smith | Alumnus
Smith joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2016 and contributed until he graduated in 2020. He was the Sports editor for the 2018-2019 academic year, an assistant Sports editor for the 2017-2018 academic year and spent time on the football, men's basketball, women's basketball, men's water polo, baseball, men's golf and women's golf beats.