Former UCLA basketball player found dead in Sherman Oaks home

By Sydney Coneeny and Gabriel McCarthy

July 7, 2018 9:45 a.m.

This post was updated on July 7 at 1:03 p.m.

Tyler Honeycutt, a former UCLA basketball player, was found dead after shooting at police and barricading himself in a Sherman Oaks home Friday.

Family members identified Honeycutt on Saturday, after reports that the man had been a former basketball player for both UCLA and the NBA, according to ABC 7.

Officers responded to a call of a man with a gun in a house near Riverside Drive and Tyrone Avenue around 5 p.m. When police arrived, the man fired at them, prompting officers to return fire, the LAPD tweeted Friday night.

Honeycutt’s mother had called the police because her son was acting erratically, ABC 7 reported.

Police evacuated at least 30 residents surrounding the home as a precaution, according to the department. SWAT officers found Honeycutt unresponsive when they entered the residence, the department tweeted early Saturday. Los Angeles Fire Department officials declared him dead at the scene.

The forward spent two seasons with UCLA men’s basketball between the 2009-2010 and 2010-2011 seasons, during which he was named to the Pac-10 all-freshman and Pac-10 first team. After his time with the Bruins, Honeycutt spent two seasons in the NBA with the Sacramento Kings.

Honeycutt had recently spent the 2017-2018 season playing in the EuroLeague with Khimki Moscow Region. He claimed the EuroCup and finished second place in the Russian championship with Khimki Moscow Region.

Sydney Coneeny | City and Crime editor
Coneeny is the 2018-2019 assistant News editor for the City and Crime beat. She was previously a contributor for the National News and Higher Education beat. She is a second-year pre-global studies student from the east coast.
Gabriel McCarthy | Sports senior staff
McCarthy is currently a Sports senior staff writer. He was an assistant Sports editor in 2018-2019 for the men's tennis, women's soccer, track and field and men's volleyball beats. McCarthy was previously a reporter on the men's volleyball and men's water polo beats. He is a third-year English and history student from Atlanta, Georgia. McCarthy is an avid Tottenham Hotspur and Conor McGregor fan.