Westwood Neighborhood Council recap – June 13

By Tyler Noble

This post was updated June 25 at 3:47 p.m.

Comments by public officials

• Gibson Nyambura, a representative of the Department of Neighborhood Empowerment, said the Board of Neighborhood Commissioners will decide at a meeting in August whether jurisdiction of the business district in Westwood Village will fall under the Westwood Neighborhood Council or the new North Westwood Neighborhood Council, or be shared between the two councils. Westwood Forward, a coalition of students, residents and activists, successfully campaigned to split the WWNC boundary into two smaller districts in May after expressing dissatisfaction with the WWNC. The new council will include the North Village and UCLA’s campus. Nyambura said the Department of Neighborhood Empowerment will recommend that Westwood Hills remain within the jurisdiction of the original Westwood Neighborhood Council.

Discussion

• Lisa Chapman, council president, proposed a shared jurisdiction of the Westwood Village between the WWNC and the NWWNC. Chapman said she thinks it is better to divide council responsibilities, rather than allow the new council to take over, because the WWNC will have less power and influence over decisions that affect the Westwood business community.
  • Sandy Brown, council vice president, added that she thinks the business district in Westwood Village, while within the northern boundary of Westwood, encompasses resources all citizens use and therefore justifies a petition for sharing the boundary and decision-making responsibilities in Westwood Village.
  • Council members agreed that losing influence in decision-making responsibilities in the main business hub of Westwood would not be ideal. Their council would have less power in the community.
  • Michael Skiles, Graduate Students Association president and a member of Westwood Forward, said he thinks sharing a boundary is inefficient because the existing North Westwood boundaries include Westwood Village and it makes it more difficult for residents and business owners when raising complaints to the council or seek approval on a range of subjects, such as permissions for zoning exceptions, permits and licenses.

Motions

• The board passed amended bylaws that changed the boundaries of the WWNC.
Tyler Noble