Thursday, September 20

Tree falls on Kelton Avenue, causes damage to two vehicles

A tree fell on Kelton Avenue on Monday afternoon. Several large trees have fallen on the street over the past year. (Michael Zshornack/Photo editor)

A tree fell on Kelton Avenue on Monday afternoon, damaging a pickup truck and a station wagon.

The fallen tree blocked the road between Ophir Drive and Levering Avenue in front of 555 Kelton Avenue as of Monday evening.

Joana Ramirez, a third-year biology student, said the tree fell around 2:45 p.m, and said smaller trees had fallen on Kelton Avenue in the past, including one last week.

Tiffany Hoang, a fourth-year psychology student, said she thinks it is common for trees to fall on Kelton Avenue.

“I’m just seeing this right now, but it’s insane,” she said. “Last spring, I was touring looking for apartments, there was a tree that had fallen.”

Two other large trees had fallen on Kelton Avenue in early 2017 and late 2017 , damaging several apartment buildings and a pickup truck, respectively.

A City of Los Angeles Department of Public Works official placed signs around the area. None were immediately available for comment.

Assistant Opinion Editor

Said is an assistant Opinion editor. He previously contributed as an opinion columnist for the section and writes about issues surrounding diversity and student life.