Monday, August 19

Kris Wilkes declares for NBA draft, but will not sign an agent

Freshman guard Kris Wilkes was one of a pair of five-star recruits to join UCLA men's basketball for the 2017-2018 season. Both have declared for the NBA draft, but it appears the pair could suit up for the Bruins next season as well. (Keila Mayberry/Daily Bruin staff)

Kris Wilkes will test the waters.

The freshman guard has declared for the NBA draft without signing an agent – per a tweet from CBS Sports’ Jon Rothstein – meaning he maintains his eligibility for a potential sophomore campaign as a Bruin.

Fellow freshman guard Jaylen Hands made a similar move, announcing that he declared for the draft without signing an agent via Instagram on Wednesday. Former junior guard Aaron Holiday also recently declared via Twitter, but he intends to sign with an agent and will not return to UCLA.

Wilkes appeared in all 33 games last season for UCLA, starting in 32 of them. He averaged 13.7 points, 4.9 rebounds and 1.7 assists in just under 30 minutes per game.

The NBA draft will take place June 21.

Sports editor

Gottlieb is the Sports editor. He was previously an assistant Sports editor in 2016-2017, and has covered baseball, softball, women's volleyball and golf during his time with the Bruin.

Sports Senior Staff

Ryan Smith was the 2018-2019 Sports editor. He was previously an assistant Sports editor in 2017-2018 and has covered women's basketball, men's water polo, baseball, men's golf and women's golf during his time with the Bruin.