UCLA takes 30-26 halftime lead over Arizona in Pac-12 semifinal

Senior center Thomas Welsh accounted for half of No. 4 seed UCLA’s 22 rebounds in the first half of the Pac-12 semifinals against No. 1 seed Arizona.

By David Gottlieb

LAS VEGAS — The Bruins appeared to be in upset mode once again during the first half of the Pac-12 Tournament semifinal.

No. 4 seed UCLA men’s basketball took a 30-26 halftime lead over No. 1 seed Arizona heading into the locker room Friday night at a T-Mobile Arena brimming with Wildcat fans. UCLA handed Arizona its only home loss of the season earlier this season in Tucson.

The Bruins led for the large majority of the first half, but the Wildcats took a 23-22 lead with 4:35 to play in the first half. On the next play, senior forward GG Goloman slammed home a putback dunk after freshman guard Jaylen Hands missed the mark on a 3 to give the lead back to the Bruins.

Junior guard Aaron Holiday played all 20 minutes of the first half following playing all 40 minutes a day prior and led a balanced Bruin attack with 7 points.

Freshman guard Kris WIlkes was second on the team with 6, while Golomon and junior guard Prince Ali each added 5 points. Senior center Thomas Welsh put up just 2 points on 1-of-5 shooting, but also collected 11 rebounds in 17 minutes of first-half play.

David Gottlieb | Alumnus
Gottlieb joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2014 and contributed until he graduated in 2018. He was the Sports editor for the 2017-2018 academic year, an assistant Sports editor for the 2016-2017 academic year and spent time on the football, men's basketball, baseball, softball, women's volleyball, men's golf and women's golf beats.