Freshmen efforts propel men’s tennis to 13-2 overall record

Keegan Smith is one of the high-performing freshman on this season’s roster, ranked No. 72 in singles and No. 39 in doubles with partner senior Austin Rapp. Smith posts a 24-6 singles record for the season so far. (Alice Naland/Daily Bruin)

By Justin Auh

With a 13-2 overall record, No. 4 UCLA men’s tennis is one of the elite programs in the nation this season, thanks in part to the major contributions from the team’s freshmen.

“They’ve obviously played a big role as they’re winning matches,” said coach Billy Martin. “I’m expecting big things from all of our freshmen.”

Three freshmen in particular have secured lineup spots and performed well in nonconference dual matches.

Freshman Keegan Smith, who is slotted at court three singles and court two doubles, has been the most prolific freshman player for the Bruins. Smith is ranked No. 72 nationally in singles and No. 39 in doubles with his partner, senior Austin Rapp. The freshman has compiled dual match records of 9-2 and 7-2 in singles and doubles, respectively.

“I think (Smith’s) a talented guy and he competes well,” Rapp said. “I’m happy to be playing with him, and we’re going to try to keep rolling throughout the rest of the year.”

Freshman Bryce Pereira earned a mainstay position at court three doubles, pairing with junior Maxime Cressy. The tandem is 10-3 in dual matches thus far and is coming off a consolation bracket victory at the 129th Annual Pacific Coast Men’s Doubles Championship.

At court six singles, freshman Connor Hance has attained an 8-3 dual match record, with all of his victories coming in straight sets.

“(The freshmen) get thrown into it, have to be mature quickly and are going to be the ones stepping up this year and for the next three years after that,” Rapp said. “I think they’re learning, and they’re doing really well.”

In addition to developing the on-court abilities of his young players, Martin said he wants them to transition from mentees to mentors throughout their careers.

“We want (the freshmen) to experience a lot of things this year and be able to help younger guys that come in (during) the next few years, just as our older guys are doing with them right now,” Martin said.

Heading into future seasons, the freshmen said they are aware of the leadership roles they must soon embrace.

“Next year, a lot of seniors are leaving. … I think there will be a bigger load on my shoulders next year with some of the younger guys coming in looking up to me,” Smith said.

The freshmen will face the first conference tests of their careers this weekend when UCLA travels to the Pacific Northwest to face No. 40 Oregon and No. 47 Washington.

Justin Auh | Sports staff
Auh is currently a Sports staff writer. He was previously a contributor on the men's golf, women's golf and men's tennis beats.